Thread: Is This a Willy's Engine?

Question Is This a Willy's Engine?

Howdy,
    I'm new to this forum, and need your expertise since I don't know much about Willys. A few years ago, my father-in-law acquired an older Willys Jeep (a 60's version I think?) in a trade, and it came with an extra engine. He recently traded the Willys Jeep for something else, but he still has that extra engine, and we're trying to identify it. It's obviously a flathead 6-cylinder, but we don't know anything else about it.

I'm attaching a few pictures here. There are 3 numbers on the engine:

On the block, down by the oil-pan: 533870-4
    On the block, up by the head: I250I73
    On the top of the head:1544289

Can anyone tell us if this belongs to any Willys vehicle, or if they have any idea what this might belong to? We might be interested in a restoration. Thanks very much in advance - Wade
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wade:

I'm not an expert, but from a quick comparison of the mystery engine to the six-cylinder engine shown in the 1953 edition of the Willys Mechanic's Manual - it's not a Willys engine. Willys introduced their six-cylinder engine in the Model 685 Station Wagon and it moved into other vehicles later.

The biggest tell-tale for the identification is that the Willys 685 engine was an F-head engine, not a flat head. The 685 Six had intake valves in the head and exhaust valves in the block, with a valve cover on top of the engine. The engine in the picture is a flathead six - what Willys would identify as an L-head.

Probably isn't a Willys.

By Jove - I think we've got it! The slanted coil is pretty unique.

Not a Willys, but probably of interest to MOPAR folks...