Thread: Larry from upstate New Yorl

Larry from upstate New Yorl

My 46 cj2a transmission was working fine till I put it in the garage for a few years. Roof leaked rain water on and around shifter, now I only have reverse and 1st gear will not budge into 2nd or 3rd. Your help please

Stuck Transmission

Quote Originally Posted by larscho View Post
    My 46 cj2a transmission was working fine till I put it in the garage for a few years. Roof leaked rain water on and around shifter, now I only have reverse and 1st gear will not budge into 2nd or 3rd. Your help please
    A number of folks have noted in this forum that nothing is harder on a Jeep than sitting in the barn for X years.

Your '46 CJ seems to have rediscovered the truth of this. There isn't a lot of magic here. The transmission needs to get pulled out of the vehicle and given a thorough overhaul. You can see the immediate problem of no 2nd or 3rd gear, but what you probably haven't seen are the bearings (roller and needle) that are corroded and water damaged.

Then I'd bet the seals on the input and tail shafts are going to leak once the tranny gets the proper amount of oil in it.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Thank you LarBird, I appreciate your help. I will keep you advised, sounds expensive. I had just finished rebuilding the body with new steel when I put it away. Thank you again.

Rusty Transmission

[QUOTE, sounds expensive.[/QUOTE]

The good (or not so bad) news is that you have all of the big and really expensive parts on hand. The case, big gear clusters and that sort of thing are the expensive stuff. (Maybe a synchronizer...?) Bearing kits and seals are relatively cheap. We found out in the '48 2WD that the one bearing we thought was OK made the transmission sound like a rock crusher - but since we had to have it torn down again - we replaced everything that rolled , turned or sealed.

Good luck..

A Really Good Idea

I was looking at carburetor stuff, but I found this advice for any of us who want to store a vehicle:

For those who drive their vehicle regularly, simply change the air and fuel filters at the recommended intervals, and about every 150,000 miles, rebuild the carburetor. For those who drive less frequently, consider either driving more frequently, or hire a responsible 15-year-old to start the vehicle at least once a week, warm the engine, and move the vehicle at least the distance of the diameter of one tire. Absolutely the least expensive preventative maintenance available. This is true for any vehicle ... -- Jon Hardgrove

Hmmmm ... where do I find a responsible 15-year old boy who will only drive one diameter of the tires?