Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Threaded View

frustration day no33

since working on the old girl not in the cards for a few days used this time to look for a 1/4" stud 20 on one end 28 on other or coarse and fine... Where i grew up in chicagoland this would have been a 1/2 hour deal, many places have these. its just a stud. went to every auto parts store, first of all they wanted to know what kind of motor or vehicle. my reply was, a stud is a stud, it does not matter where it lives I need a 1/4" 1" long with 20 thread count one end and 28 thread count the other end. majority answer was UHHHHHHHHHHHH we aint got those................ there are three napa stores here in rural NC went to all three, they did recognize verbally what i wanted, and they answered i think all we have is 5/16th, but they did look, but no studs. went to a hardware/lumber yard that does have #8 bolts hoping that they-might have them in one of the little trays/boxes they usually all have.
    it was listed on the top of the one box i opened and sure enough it was listed, but it was ****ING EMPTY. in fact most of the bins were empty, said to the guy 'YOU CANT SELL EM IF YOU AINT GOT EM" Went back to the garage and hand or no hand was gonna do something. took a brand new 5/16 and put in vise and used a die to make one end ever so slowly, turned and back turned with lots of oil it worked so one end is now 1/4" coarse. so far so goot was going to try the other end but felt it might be too much to get off by brute force, so i filled it down some, well more than some, and cut the other end to #28. i did find on the internet for $.79 each with $9.75 shipping

oil and temp.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 02-21-2018 at 07:50 PM.