Page 39 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

frustration day no33

since working on the old girl not in the cards for a few days used this time to look for a 1/4" stud 20 on one end 28 on other or coarse and fine... Where i grew up in chicagoland this would have been a 1/2 hour deal, many places have these. its just a stud. went to every auto parts store, first of all they wanted to know what kind of motor or vehicle. my reply was, a stud is a stud, it does not matter where it lives I need a 1/4" 1" long with 20 thread count one end and 28 thread count the other end. majority answer was UHHHHHHHHHHHH we aint got those................ there are three napa stores here in rural NC went to all three, they did recognize verbally what i wanted, and they answered i think all we have is 5/16th, but they did look, but no studs. went to a hardware/lumber yard that does have #8 bolts hoping that they-might have them in one of the little trays/boxes they usually all have.
    it was listed on the top of the one box i opened and sure enough it was listed, but it was ****ING EMPTY. in fact most of the bins were empty, said to the guy 'YOU CANT SELL EM IF YOU AINT GOT EM" Went back to the garage and hand or no hand was gonna do something. took a brand new 5/16 and put in vise and used a die to make one end ever so slowly, turned and back turned with lots of oil it worked so one end is now 1/4" coarse. so far so goot was going to try the other end but felt it might be too much to get off by brute force, so i filled it down some, well more than some, and cut the other end to #28. i did find on the internet for $.79 each with $9.75 shipping

oil and temp.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 02-21-2018 at 07:50 PM.

[QUOTE=pelago;4466]no, 100 ft or higher needs light thats both federal and county regs, and at 85' he would be in the trees anyway[quote]

I know what the rules are. It took quite a while but we finally forced the power companies to mark their met towers. They were intentionally building them 2 feet short so they wouldn’t have to mark them. Serval pilots died because of their murderous attitude. As a pilot, I can tell you for a fact if the tower sticks up 2 feet above the tress, it is dangerous. There is a collection of 5(?) north of the runway at Hannibal, MO that I have to fly around because they are a little taller than the trees. They are hard to spot and I nearly hit them the first time I flew out of there. The most damage I ever done to an airplane was when I flew through a dead limb sticking out above the leaves. I knocked the leading edge of the wing back to the spar and I never saw it. Dead limbs are easier to spot than a tower.

Growing up in central IL, the little town where my Grand parents lived had a International dealer/hardware store. The last time I was in there, a few years back, they still had the wooden drawers filled with everything one would ever need. The drawers went up nearly as high as the 12' ceiling, and there were library ladders on rails that you could climb up on to look into the drawers. Some of the bins were labeled with hardware for bunk board wagon axle bolts, (square headed bolts from at least the 1880's) The building was constructed in 1880, and had been a hardware store since. It's frustrating to go and search for hardware, seals, and bearings these days. The parts houses are filled with kids that have never heard of leaded gas, (try asking for lead substitute, if you really want to blow their minds). No matter what it was that I was needing, I could find a place that had whatever it was in stock, within an hour. Take a mangled wheel bearing, as long as a measurement could be taken or the axle size was taken, they could set you up with a good bearing at a great price. Same way with the driveline. There was a shop that could build you a new drive shaft, and balance it in a couple of hours, cheap. The last one I had trimmed down was around $40.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-22-2018 at 05:42 AM.

I blew a u-joint passing through Nebraska while on leave about 20 years ago. I was in a ‘69 Bronco and was told the u-joint was no longer available by several parts houses but it was nothing to find a shop to replace the yolks to fit a common size. Today I have a hard time finding a shop to build an exhaust system.

That is the key thing wrong with a disposable society. When something wears out, toss it out and buy a new one.

[QUOTE=51 CJ3;4468][QUOTE=pelago;4466]no, 100 ft or higher needs light thats both federal and county regs, and at 85' he would be in the trees anyway

I know what the rules are. It took quite a while but we finally forced the power companies to mark their met towers. They were intentionally building them 2 feet short so they wouldn’t have to mark them. Serval pilots died because of their murderous attitude. As a pilot, I can tell you for a fact if the tower sticks up 2 feet above the tress, it is dangerous. There is a collection of 5(?) north of the runway at Hannibal, MO that I have to fly around because they are a little taller than the trees. They are hard to spot and I nearly hit them the first time I flew out of there. The most damage I ever done to an airplane was when I flew through a dead limb sticking out above the leaves. I knocked the leading edge of the wing back to the spar and I never saw it. Dead limbs are easier to spot than a tower.
    maybe so, however in my back yard and two of neighbors i have to look up at the trees when i am at the top of my tower, many pine trees in excess of 100ft in my area. lowest thing i ever saw was a drone when my back yard pool was full of strippers and all of em naked out in the sun.. the drone kinda stayed there and i bet the guys at camp lejeune had a eyefull. i had to leave, was getting kind of hard to take ...... left them there and went to my boat, put some pictures here but would probably violate a rule or two

Sorry about coming on so strong about it. As you can tell, it is a topic that is near and dear to me. People don’t realize things that are easily spotted from the ground with the sky as a background are nearly invisible from the other direction. That’s part of the reason it took so much effort to get the new regs passed but, I don’t think it was enough.

Don’t get me started on the drones.

I have a feeling that Camp Lejeune has your coordinates marked on their maps. Chesty would be proud!

well here is a tame picture of some of my lady friends it might pass scrutiny the two on my right are grand national pole champs and are really quite good

20150711_220051 (800x792).jpg

new topic.....
    anticipating a fuel pump soon, here is my "do and check before starting up list" what did i miss
    fabricate some needed vent lines
    install 24 vdc line to dist
    fabricate fuel line
    check tightness of generator, check all hoses
    check motor mount bolts, check trans to bell housing bolts, check bell housing bolts to engine,
    check all fluids, (drained the transmission and 4wd, pretty dark) need to fill with 90wt gear lube

also came across this...
    http://oldjeepcarbs.com/thread/66/final-design-l134
    Last edited by pelago; 02-24-2018 at 05:10 PM.