Page 81 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

It happens. If you didn't take it apart, then you didn't see how it went in. Glad you were able to get it figured out.

How are you feeling these days? Good to have you back on, and making forward progress.

Nawhhh .. you aren't stupid.

Stupid is like ugly and mean, it's bone deep and you can't cure it.

The illustrations weren't clear. You just hadn't learned that particular trick yet - now you have moved from uninformed to being an Expert since you've solved the problem once. And - there are several people out here who saw you solve that problem and, one of these days when they need to replace that bearing, they will remember some guy who found out it won't go in upside down and save them the mistake.

Keep on making mistakes - we're learning a lot from your efforts!

E8B Sends

got the voltage regulator out and checking gap, and adj same. thanks for the compliment but still feel like a dumbass, one good thing i used the original race bearing, once i had it cleaned up and re lubed felt more comfortable with it than the replacement, old one just huskier, and metal thicker

You'll be safe using the original bearing. We all learn from things we did right, but more so from things we did wrong. Now to tackle the regulator.

uh oh, after spending all day reg, cleaned, cleaned points measured points adjusted points, all readings within normal limits, plugged it in, nothing just sat there, then the cut off activated but nothing happened then the smoke escaped. cut off relay winding smoked, and the smoke got away................

I hate it when the magic smoke escapes! Lucus had a jar of replacement smoke... I'll have to find the picture again.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I hate it when the magic smoke escapes! Lucus had a jar of replacement smoke... I'll have to find the picture again.
    thought i had that but can not find it either, i think cut off relay was faulty to begin with

English cars were the worst, with the positive ground systems. Early Jags were nice to look at, but would often leave you walking home.

didnt Lady Dianna piss off the whole country when she bought a mercedes instead of driving the jag? thought i read that somewhere and she said she wanted a car to drive not visit the mechanic every two days

I wouldn't doubt it. Now the Mini Cooper is made by BMW, because it took the Germans to make the darn thing reliable. Ford lost money when it bought into Jag, just in warranty claims. GM did as well, when they owned Opel and SAAB... (yeah SAAB is not British but close enough. SAAB is the sound that the owner makes upon leaving the mechanic shop).

Here is a link to the Lucas magic smoke replacement tool;

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm