Kaiser Willys Jeep Parts
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Yep - you found the same pictures I did.

The valves, lines and such that you've found were part of the kit that made the M38 and M38A1 semi-submersible. (The one you drove into the China Sea might have been OK if it hadn't been so deep...). Most people called it the fording kit, but as both of us found out - it was technically called the Engine Venting System and involved just about everything on the vehicle; fuel tank, transfer case, master cylinder, carburetor, distributor and even the valve cover on the side of the engine. Oh yes, windshield wiper motor too.

As I looked at things, there were lot of variations on how the system was configured as the M38A1 was built. Early and late production changed as lines and fittings were added or deleted. The good news is that most of the lines were not needed to just make the vehicle run, so crimped lines and brass plugs can substitute for most of the parts if they are missing.

Yee-Haw.

man there must have been quite a few production changes. i stood in front of my engine and compared photos from the manual that i got, and kept saying "dont have that, dont have that. over and over again. as you stated when i drove that damn thing into the south china sea there were a few geysers coming around us, did not care whether it could ford or not i just drove away from crap coming at us, it finally stalled and we ran (two of us) for cover up the dunes. wonder if tht thing still there, but aint gonna go back and see.
    Only thing consistant seems to be fuel supply to the fuel/vacume pump. going to configure it out to basic run status

I have access to two vehicles, one is an M38 of some version - the other may be an M151. Let me look at them and see just how much of that vent system is left on them. That system looks more like a helicopter hydraulic system than a motor vehicle....

Basic run is a good starting place

Basic run is a good starting place

agreed, think so, can always add the other stuff