Kaiser Willys Jeep Parts
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

The following diagram is from Kaiser Willys;
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/diagram...cy-brake-m38a1

i have another translmission with transfer case that has the other kind of parking brake, can i convert the transfer case to put in the other park brake? seems to be one piece that allows tht to be done and that is in the diagramdiagram e brake.jpg12-1-hand brake and related parts exploded.jpgFig 34 Transfer Case.jpg

The first diagram, as you figured is the correct parking brake configuration for you A1. The two diagrams are for a civilian CJ 2A through 3B, with the cane handle in the dash. The big difference is the way the brake is actuated. The M38A1 pulls up towards the body to engage the brake. The civilian pulls the brake lever forward towards the transmission, through a push/pull cable that connects to the cane handle in the dash. Now you mentioned that you have one parking brake set up with external shoes. That has me thinking back if I've run across anything besides a John Deere two cylinder clutch that utilizes an external brake shoe.... I can't come up with any, because even the examples put out by Dodge, (M37) had internal shoes. I could be wrong, and often times are. The pictures below was of the 52 M38A1 that I had done all the body repairs to. When the body was still on the frame, you can see the parking brake handle, with the rod going down to the bottom of the brake assembly, attaching to the actuator with a clevis and pin. The actuator arm then travels upward, applying the brake shoes. Adjustment was made through shortening the length of the rod going to the actuator arm. To answer your question, yes the brake set up will fit on your transfer case, but no it will not work with the brake lever between the seats. If the external brake set up is much like the first drawing, I would figure out what I'm missing, and go for that. The CJ set would be way too much of a head ache, in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-08-2018 at 02:35 PM.

PROBABLY CORRECT, lots of pieces and parts to get. bought transmissions and 4wd set up apart from jeeps,, but now have two complete engines and transmissions with transfer cases. both cruddy on outside but clean sharp gears inside. got to collect parts for parking brake, until then guess its leave it in gear and get a brick

My 46 hasn't had a functional parking brake since I've had it. I've collected everything to rebuild the whole assemble, but have not done it. As long as the engine has compression, it stays where I left it.

Reverse holds it really well, and you don't forget to take it out of reverse....

KOOL, but still gonna find all the pieces and parts, all i have for the m38a1 is one rusty parking break handle

The parking brake handle is a good start, and probable the most expensive part. Check with these guys below. They keep a lot of used parts, and NOS replacement parts for Willys military Jeeps. I've purchased a lot from them, and have had no complaints. Their prices are reasonable also.

https://quartertonparts.com/product-category/brakes/

FOR TEMPORARY USE AND JUST TO START IT UP... will use a mechanical guage for oil pressure. now since it is pretty positive that many of the original features of the m38a1 have been lost to history in this motor, damn if i can find the place where the actual oil will go to the sending unit. there is a strange oil line that is on the oil pump side that goes from bottom of engine to the head on back of motor, what in the heck is that?. do you put a "T" fitting where the oil goes to the filter for the oil pressure?? damifiknow

There are four oil galley ports on the driver's side of the block. They are in line with the oil pump, and are spaced along the length of the block. The oil pressure gauge sending unit attaches to the last rear galley port, closest to the bell housing. The sending unit can be attached right to that port, but I have seen a couple of examples where the sending unit was mounted on the passenger side of the engine. I would look to where the wiring harness lays, in regards to where I would mount it. You can use that port for running a mechanical oil pressure gauge, or any of the other three. The line that you were wondering about may be a fording vent line. The following links should get you going in the right direction.

http://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=219337
    http://www.surplusjeep.com/M38A1/m38...tem_-_Exploded