Page 129 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Run your ratchet straps to the sides of both front body mounts, then a second ratchet straps to the tail light mounts. Adjust the straps to find your balance point with the engine hoist hook grabbing both straps. The undercoating looks pretty good. On to the top side! The fenders are really clean.

Are you going to tackle the final paint?
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-17-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Are you going to tackle the final paint?

yeah have figured the dropcloth and am hanging, or will be hanging it in garsage got plastic 80'X15' to make a room for spray, sometime soon i hope, but will have body on frame so can do fenders and hood in one shot (i hope)

dashboard instrument cluster.jpg

kam screws themselves okay, so are the ?receptacles on the dash? springs bad, so i made four of them from some old thin banding material, damn if it didnt work. comes in and out easily with one turn of screwdriver, make sure i got all the different thing right, on/off., light cluster, throttle, choke so forth then paint it OD

ALSO SAVED FIFTY BUCKS
    Last edited by pelago; 02-18-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Saving money is a key to a good restoration. Anyone can have put out a blank check, and have new everything, but you loose the soul of the Jeep. With that being said, there is certain circumstances that warrant a new body, or even a new frame. As I year into the floor of our wagon, there were several paths that can be taken to get the same results. New floor pans could have been ordered for a reasonable price, but where is the fun in not forming your own copy of the original. I did purchase the rocker support and the rocker, just because of the complex stampings involved. If I knew now what I didn't know then, I would have invested in punch presses, brakes, and various iron working tools. Hind sight is indeed 20/20.

i watched a old tv show, remember the guy that had the show about picking a topic and a old car to build it from, Jesse??? the one who married the actress and then cheated on her (idiot, it was sandra bullock).. i watched him make a floor panel and he had a way of putting in the what normally would be stamped (grooves??) in flat steel, and then would complete a new floor, wish i had that capability and knew how to do it, 4X8 sheet of 20 guage rolled steel $49.00 bucks and think of the floor panels could be fabricated out of 4'X8'

Jesse James. A genius with metal, but a crappy human being. All his machines were from the war effort during WWII. They are ungodly heavy, but were made to last. You can still find them for cheap, but the labor and equipment to move them is outrageous. When I worked for a county, the trade school was taking bids on the 12' lathes from the machine shop. The weight of one lathe was around 9,000lbs. The only downside was that the motors were 3 phase, so I passed on bidding. Kick myself every day. The lathes went for pennies on the dollar.

You can use a bead roller to put in the grooves. A hand operated unit isn't terrible expensive. My problem is that I need to add on to the garage, just to have the room for all the goodies I want. If I ever get tired of being a Nomad, I'll build another shop like the last one I had. I don't have any electronic copies of pictures of the shop itself, but included picture has the corner of it.

Woodward Fab is a grown guys wish book for all the stuff that can make anything from sheet metal.

https://www.woodwardfab.com/?gclid=E...iAAEgJO8fD_BwE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-19-2019 at 01:14 PM.

been thinking of maybe doint a bed liner treatment on the back deck?? maybe even where feet go in passenger and driver side?? comments. hell of a lot cheaper than the floor mats kaiser sells

Some of the bedliners can be tinted to a shade close to the USMC olive. The liner would be more durable than just paint. If you do decide to go that route, make sure you coat the pedals.

Tinted Bed Liner - I'm glad you thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    been thinking of maybe doint a bed liner treatment on the back deck?? maybe even where feet go in passenger and driver side?? comments. hell of a lot cheaper than the floor mats kaiser sells
    That should work really well. I tinted the bed liner in the bed of the '48 and it came out very close to the body color. One unexpected side effect was that the texture of the liner tends to catch dust down in the ripples. If I want it to really look spiffy for show and tell, I have to get in there with a brush like I am GI'ing a deck to work the dust out, then wipe it down with a rag and clean water. (I do spoil my truck...).

At least I don't have to use my tooth brush .....