Page 53 of 252 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

The Carter YF used 10-27 screws, not 10-24, to put the top onto the body. It was not uncommon to see 10-24's cross threaded in place. JB Weld fixes whatever duct tape won't. I have drilled and tapped JB Weld and used it as a screw thread insert.

(6) 10 27 on top, (4) 10 24 for the base

carter carb screws.jpg

do not or cant find a 10 27 tap, 10 24 i got, last time i did something like this was in sophomore year in hs, and that was not yesterday, had taps and dies on my boat i figured if i got somewhere and broke something i had better be able to fix it, in ten years only used them twice, but got metric and us

just went to google and tried 10 27 machine screws and got every othere size??

once again confused 10 27?? can not find on chart??

HELI COILS SIZE CHART.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 04-17-2018 at 07:56 PM.

You just saved me a search. I had never heard of 10-27. I know none of my tap and die sets have it. I think the only place I have seen 27 pitch is on pipe thread. I think 10-32 is the most common today but that may just be from my aviation background.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 04-17-2018 at 09:17 PM.

thanks for that, was going nuts tearing stuff apart looking for 10/27 doesnt or dont normal sizes go from 6/32 8/32 10/24 10/32? i need to get one of those little sizer deals, where you thread into a piece of steel and it tells you, or you have a stud and it tells you

Those are the sizes I am familiar with. Carter may have made their own hardware.

well the one carb that i tried is a disaster, and it goes thru 2 gal in about 20 minutes,,, the exhaust end is total black and full of soot, desperate need of rebuild but got to correct the threads, the four base screws are tight but one of the top (smaller ones in picture) is completely gone. jb weld was suggested and i used it once on a cracked thermostat housing on my diesel and it lasted until i returned to the US and got a direct replacement from universal. but it held. I feel more comfortable getting a helicoil kit and repairing it by reaming larger and then tapping with the correct tap and then inserting new threads, they make the correct one. and i have two carbs, probably will get two kits one for the larger screw and one for the smaller one so i can do the 2nd carter.

I have heard of drilling and tapping JB Weld. There are a lot of success stories doing it but I have never attempted it myself. As long as it isn’t a stressed part or won’t have gas against it all the time it should do well. I would have a hard time getting the hole exacty where it is needed so I would balk at using it too. I might try it, if I could find the correct tap, because the hole required to try JB Weld would not need to be as big as a hole to install a helicoil.

I know JB Weld doesn’t like gasoline. I crawled under a pickup to investigate a gas leak. Gas was coming from a JB Weld patch. The JB Weld had rubberized and was coming loose. The hole was about the size of a pencil lead. The owner said the JB Weld had been there for about 3 years and had me put fresh JB Weld on it.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 04-18-2018 at 07:26 AM.

this is a guess, but in their past lives these two carbs have been broken down and instead of recognizing that there are two different sizes of machine screws, the individual(s) put it back together with the larger machine screws forced into the smaller holes. just a guess, but both of the carbs have good bottom screws holding the base plate on, but each one of them have one or more top screw holes enlarged with the larger ones forced in, and of course there lies the problem.

i just might tap the other holes out and just use the larger machine screws thru out?? or helicoil the correct size threads into the damaged holes. Might be wrong but i think that the helicoils option just might be the better of the two choices.

and i need to completely re gasket the oil pump oil coming out the top plate at pretty good flow. so pulling oil pump again... and pulling distributor out also . took the valve cover off to easily obtain TDC #1 and leave it til all repaired, rebuilt. new points and parts for distributor, carb rebuild (s) and new wires, ought to make it run pretty damn good. runs now but kinda ragged

A helicoil would be your best option. It is true that JB Weld is not as gas friendly, as stated by 51 CJ3.

there are things i am good at and things not so good, i can not look at a machine bolt and say "that is a 10-24" i need to get one of those gauges.