Page 54 of 252 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I was given a thread gauge from Fastenal. We deal with a mixture of metric and a few standard bolt sizes, and not all the bolts are marked. China freight may have them also. My eyes aren't worth a darn either.

yeah, and probably going to need two of the helicoil kits, dont want to get what i dont need, so, will be getting a gauge, holding off on running the motor until i get one of the two carbs rebuilt, and new plug wires (damn they aint cheap) the way they are now 2 gal gas in less than 30 min of run time, and they are richer than hell, and new points cap and condenser, have the oil pump out and valve cover off and am at TDC #1, checked valve clearance and they are all good, but sure feel like they are noisy, but then again with a 24" glass pak who can tell, mufflers and exh soon (actually getting good at the re install of dist and oil pump, point to #1 shallow side down on pump and put it together). I do want to get this portion done so i can bring the body in to start its rebuild.............

If you run into any tuning or carb related issues, this guy is the top shelf guy to ask;

http://oldjeepcarbs.com/

I bet you are past ready to start the body work.

THERE ARE MANY MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF MACHINE BOLTS ON THESE THINGS THAT KAISER DOES NOT SELL. what is a good spuirce of say a assortment of machine bolts, and screws for carb, inside the distributor, distributor cap??

For some reason Willys used a lot of fine-thread bolts to hold things together.

Do you have a Fastenal store near you? They're not too bad for a mill supply box store.

They have a lot of nuts, bolts and screw type hardware available - maybe not on the shelf but a day or so away in their central warehouse. If you have a sample to show them, they can usually identify and match it.

You can shop around on line and then go to the store to verify the part once you think you've found it.

They've been very helpful in matching some of the weird metric screws and bolts with European heads.

https://www.fastenal.com/ oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh they got one in jacksonville nc oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

yeah i need the screws that hold the plate down inside the distributor, the distributor cap, screw after the helicoil repair on carb, and that should be it unless i have to tear into the generator or the voltage regulator but they seem to be working??? fine??? at least the voltmeter is indicating good charge voltage of about 27-29 volts, have not had it running long enough to see it settle down, but then again am used to three stage alternator and that runs at idle a 13.1 or so, on my boat i lived between 12.9VDC and 16+, that was with five large trojans and my wind gen and solar panels and digiral readout of house bank batteries, will have to get used to the generator like my 56 buick had
    Last edited by pelago; 04-20-2018 at 09:47 PM.

If the generator is being regulated at 27 - 29 volts, I'd guess that the voltage regulator is doing what it should.

If you get the irresistible urge to open up the regulator (and most of us who play with radios will get that urge), other than cleaning up obvious rust and corroded spots, I'd just run some paper moistened with alcohol (or contact cleaner if you have some) between the points of the relays to clean any resident crud away.

If I remember correctly, there are a couple of capacitors in the 24-volt regulator for radio noise suppression as well as one diode. If the diode opened, you'd probably never know it and if it shorted, it would have disappeared in a flash of light and a puff of magic smoke. Other than the few radio parts, it's a three relay regulator, just set up for 24-volt system.

Leave working on the regulator for a rainy day after you get body work finished.

A friend of mine who has an M38 very strongly recommends using a battery maintainer to keep the batteries topped off. I suspect he may have an undiagnosed electrical system sneak path leak since he replaces batteries way too often - but the battery maintainer is a lot less money than replacing even one battery.

My goal today is to change the oil in the '48 and maybe start cleaning up the radiator burp residue...

i spent some time on the fastenal web site and they have all the various helicoil repair kits, when i go in with all the stuff i need i will be able to at least order the kits if they are not stocked.

un diagnosed leak, been there and done that on my 35 footer,,,lots of snoopin and poopin in all the hard to get places,,, what was worse was floating ground and the differential between batteries on one bank. had a navy doctor that had a aluminum house boat that got horribly beat up with electrolysis so bad that it almost sank his boat, the alum was eaten up so bad the boat could not be saved, and problem was the manufacture lodated his house supply with improper 120vac the thing actuyally sizzled at the dock

regulator and generator if it aint broke dont fix it but all monitor systems tell me they are working, and i have two of them.... thinking way ahead but when the body is done and the thing is drivable might just do a complete rebuild on 2nd 134f engine. my neighbor has a engine stand that the engine block can hang on... kind of looking forward to that, since it is so straight forward. rings, bearings, crank, cylinders. do all the magic to the motor and have a basically brand new motor

think i have a line on complete parking brake assy ....................
    also you know what is amazing !!!!! this damn thread has 44000 hits on it, damn!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    think i have a line on complete parking brake assy ....................
    also you know what is amazing !!!!! this damn thread has 44000 hits on it, damn!!!!!!!!!
    Ira, people love a good story, especially when they are learning from all your posts. Keep on tellin' is all of the aw-poohs.