Page 22 of 252 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

OLD SCHOOL... WAS TAUGHT THAT CARB GASKETS ARE DRY, AND VALVE COVER USED PERMATEX (NEW STUFF THAT BRUSHES ON) Actually went to local box type auto store and asked for crush washers. got a blank stare, at least he did not say "No Habla"

We used Permatex shellac for everything from sealing gaskets, to sealing cuts and scrapes. The only thing I use the local parts box type stores for is a free place to dump my used oil. The loaner tool isn't any good either. I broke down and used one of their torsion bar tools for a late model Tahoe for a project my son in law had, and the threads were galled beyond use. We had to go to three different stores to find a descent one.

any way to unload or show a little video, stuck my phone into access port of bell housing and got a little video of throwout bearing working?

DONK KNOW.jpg

anyone tell me what this is,,, came loose in jeep with some other stuff??

It looks like the guts of a Craftsman ratchet wrench. It's not Jeep related, I'm fairly certain in that.

one thing i have noticed and that is the new brake lines are not covered, the attach kit has little braids of protective fabric that goes around the lines?? but since the jeep will not go "hither and yon" or make a beachhead landing. should not be a problem. My plan now is to re establish all the brake systems and rebuild entire jeep with all new brakes and lines. wheel cylinders and master cylinder. then four tires and two more rims so i can roll it a bit. then to tackle steering,, all the steering is good with exception of the "tube" it is encased in and the horn wiring, and a new wheel mine is kinda shot. last step is body (yuk) will take considerable welding. a lot more skill than i possess that is for sure, but have a guy that said if I tack it on( new pieces) where it sits where does not move he will clean weld it from then on. that sounds good, need passenger floor, tool box, rear deck and rear panel (taligate) and passenger side fender repair (rust) all the support frrames on bottombrakeshoe1.jpgbrakeshoe2.jpg

do these shoes look completely worn out or in my opinion hardly used,, take away the rust and?? now the odometer said 15k miles
    Last edited by pelago; 11-21-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Some of the American made brake lines, (https://quartertonparts.com/shop/) have pre bent brake lines that have cloth coverings for where the clamps go. Being that you are not planning to storm any beaches, you will be just fine. The cloth retains moisture anyway, if you were to be out driving around in the rain.

Body work on a M38A1 isn't bad to do. The last one I had my hands on, was so bad that the cowl and the tub were only connected by the top of the door sill. It came out well.

M38A1 Willys 2011 (29).jpgM38A1 Willys 2011 (3).jpgM38A1 Willys 2011 (28).jpgM38A1 Willys 2011 (19).jpgM38A1 Willys 2011 (22).jpg

A few more pictures;
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-21-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Final product;
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow, the photos before look very familiar, got lots to do