Kaiser Willys Jeep Parts
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

DAMN!! The little flat screws that hold the drum are frozen solid, heat (20 minutes) did not budge them,,, but reason heat not working is the actual part that needs heating is the damn hub, can not get to it. gonna have to drill the damn things

In regards to removing paint from the axles, sheet metal, and steel. Harbor Freight sells nylon brushes that are used in a drill. The are $3.99 each, and on the average heep, I've used five to completely remove paint. The brushes are either 80 or 120 grit. The brushes do not heat the metal, and do not remove any metal. The metal surface just needs to be wiped with solvent, and is ready for paint. No sand in crevasse, doesn't harden sheet metal by peening, and no sharp wire shrapnel impaling soft tissue. The brushes come in flat or cup brushes. They cut through multi layers of paint, rust, and bondo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

HEY, APPRECIATE THAT!!! HERE IS MY SANDBLASTED PARTS.100_1028.jpg i DO HAVE A MONSTER JOB AHEAD AND THAT IS THE TUB, FENDERS AND HOOD DONE AND PRIMER-ED100_1030.jpg100_1031.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 10-06-2017 at 11:45 AM.

think i just did a good thing. in Wilmington NC i found a surplus store and the old guy that started it is a WWII and Korea vet. he has a restored M38A1 that he rents out to movie people and we sort of hit it off and i got a complete transmission, transfer case and emergency brake for $250.00 us dollars, checked it out and looked inside and clear 90 wt and no steel shavings.. he is looking in his warehouse for other parts and pieces

Look at how those vent lines are routed!

Remember - pure blind luck overcomes planning and forethought

doing that now. now here is one? Tie rod ends, seems that the front end tie rods are all frozen, as far as adjusting in and out, am working on freeing them up, have loosened the lock down bolt and that is now moving okay, and have widened the gaps that compress the end, Hopefully with patience and a BFH i will get the whole thing to move and then can clean up the threads and put some lube on there to be able to adjust. BUT WHAT CONSTITUTES A BAD TIE ROD END, ALL OF THEM SEEM TIGHT AND WILL MOVE (INSIDE THE SOCKET AND BALL). Can get them but if dont need to spend money would rather not. most of the rubber umbrella to keep grease inside are bad but feeding the ZIRCS would re introduce grease into the thing???? HAD TO MOVE THE REAR END DIFFERENTIAL ABOUT 40 FEET... SURE HOPE I DID NOT BOTCH UP HERNIA. DAMN THING HAS TO WEIGH 300 LBS, but it is sitting under frame and going to rehang the thing this week
    Last edited by pelago; 10-09-2017 at 07:26 AM. Reason: cant spell worth a damn

still sore from moving the rear end .. but now hanging parts, rear end assembled, not all tight but hanging thererear end 2.jpgrear end1.jpg

Another Harbor Freight item, (I don't work for them, just I tend to be cheap) are the furniture casters. Doing differential work, they make life a whole lot easier. I have all sorts of different cast or cart set ups to move my crap around. My wagon is set upon a cart that started off as a man lift base. The body is easily moved around, but is stable enough to perform body work upon. I work alone, so I have to figure out how to do all this by myself. Doing all this work on our seasoned iron is only worth it if you are able to enjoy it when it's finished.

M151A2 002.jpgM151A2 001.jpg

Surplus stores are an excellent source of parts and information. The guys that have been in business for years, have seen and heard of where all the good stuff is hiding. You did well on your purchase. I'm going to look into some of my notes to see if I have anything on your vent line conundrum.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 10-10-2017 at 09:34 AM.

built one to push engine around, probably need one for the tub

Here is a descent diagram on the routing of the vent lines on an A1. The link to the forum is as follows; http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modul...wtopic&p=52169