Page 27 of 252 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

FOR TEMPORARY USE AND JUST TO START IT UP... will use a mechanical guage for oil pressure. now since it is pretty positive that many of the original features of the m38a1 have been lost to history in this motor, damn if i can find the place where the actual oil will go to the sending unit. there is a strange oil line that is on the oil pump side that goes from bottom of engine to the head on back of motor, what in the heck is that?. do you put a "T" fitting where the oil goes to the filter for the oil pressure?? damifiknow

There are four oil galley ports on the driver's side of the block. They are in line with the oil pump, and are spaced along the length of the block. The oil pressure gauge sending unit attaches to the last rear galley port, closest to the bell housing. The sending unit can be attached right to that port, but I have seen a couple of examples where the sending unit was mounted on the passenger side of the engine. I would look to where the wiring harness lays, in regards to where I would mount it. You can use that port for running a mechanical oil pressure gauge, or any of the other three. The line that you were wondering about may be a fording vent line. The following links should get you going in the right direction.

http://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=219337
    http://www.surplusjeep.com/M38A1/m38...tem_-_Exploded

lets talk about wheels. i have what are supposed to be correct wheels for the m38a1 however i feel that what i have are not correct. They only fit on the rear they will not go on the front. have looked at kaiser willys and seen theirs and kinda pricey for steel wheels, but if that is it then that is it. also were they in fact split rims? i had a old dodge truck that had huge wheels and they were split rims and tire shops had cages that they took them apart. damn things could explode consequently they were worked on inside a cage to work on. think old mr tire worker guy did not want to get killed having a wheel explode. whats he deal?

AND ONE MORE THING DONE BEFORE WE FIRE HER UP.... ME AND THIS GUY GONNA FIRE HER UPmr magoo.jpg temporary oil pressure.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 01-14-2018 at 07:35 PM.

They were solid rims.

Curiosity - what doesn't fit, bolt circle or clearance for hub?

Did you have a brake drum swap out somehow and now the fronts and rears don't match?

clearance for hub? just is lacking a bit,, got paint on there maybe thats it??

The 41 through 45 Willys MB used what was called a combat rim. These rims where two piece rims that were bolted together along the center disk. These are different from split rims meaning that they did not have the retainer ring that went around the outside diameter of the rim, like your Dodge truck. The correct wheel for your M38A1 is a 16" x 4.5". The easy way to recognize a military Kelsey Hayes 16" wheel, is that next to one stud on one of the bolt circle, there is a small 1/8" hole.
    http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modul...ewtopic&t=9635
    The attached photos are of my 46 CJ2A, with the civilian 16 x 4.5" wheels and 700 x 16" tires. The last photo is of a Dodge M37 with the split rims.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a better view of the M37 split rims. The second picture is of the M38A1, with a couple of the original factory wheels and tires. Some of the tires were date stamped 1952, and still where in descent shape.

something really wrong with what i have or what i was told i have?? 17 5/8 X 5 3/4 just think i have wrong rims??
    wheels.jpg

That is an M151 MUTT wheel. That's why it won't fit over the front hub. The bolt pattern is correct, but the center hub opening is smaller than a Willys. The offset will be different also. the tire will be tucked closer to the frame, and will not look right with the body on.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-17-2018 at 05:52 AM.

gmwillys - Is there anything you don't have at least one of?