Page 19 of 252 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Pelago:

We are of an age that can still appreciate WLS radio in Chicago (The Mighy 890). I was from West Tennessee and in the mid 60's WLS was the clear channel station for mid America on 890 KHz. Daytime radio was WHBQ in Memphis, but at local sunset - in came WLS. (One of my posts about the '48 had a story about Bubba and his girlfriend watching the submarine races while they listened to WLS - and burning the points in the flathead Ford - and having the sheriff come out to find them).

Biondi (known as the Wild Italiano) came on at 9:00 PM with what was, for the 1960's, a show that just at the edge of propriety. I remember the night that Biondi went over the edge slamming Art Roberts, probably the program director at the time, and got relieved at the 10:00 commercial break.

Try explaining to today's kids night time AM radio ....

Try explaining Jeeps to most of today's kids .....

yeah... and cruising Skips of First ave in chicago or Mac Donalds where everyone backed in to the slot to show off car.. never got my pick up to a classy view status, but it did run... and
    in case anyone trying to figure out what all this costs jeep restore. at this point in my rebuild i have a total of 3900.00 in it and that includes the 1400.00 purchase for the two jeeps originally. brakes, wireing, tires, body left to do now that is what i have spent in 2 years. don't think that it is excessive, and i have included all expenses including sand blasting, and trailer rental, even individual washers and bolts, so it is accurate. plus i have a complete spare motor including transmission
    Last edited by pelago; 11-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.

The Willys Jeep hobby isn't as expensive as say building a newer TJ would be. The parts are out there, and relatively inexpensive. Word of mouth works better than shopping on the computer. Everyone knows someone with a Jeep hidden out in the back forty. When we started work on the 52 M38A1, it didn't take long for donor vehicles to come out of the woodwork. We were able to find three that were within the time frame for the grill hinges, (two or three model years, if I remember correctly) and the correct front fenders. All were purchased for not a lot of money. $3900 is a good price for what you have accomplished. Much cheaper than any other habits.

Try explaining setting points, tach and dwell, and six volt batteries. Especially at the auto parts store.....

My mind is full of otherwise useless information. Does anyone know what the WLS stands for? The hint is that the radio station was started by Sears and Roebuck, in order to get rural farmers to purchase radios through the catalogue.

Answer: Worlds largest Store.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-09-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Oh boy ...

We should all three just go off and sit in our rocking chairs somewhere.

Then there was WOWO, here in Fort Wayne Indiana - the Fifty-thousand watt voice of the big business of farming! I first heard WOWO one early morning in 1968 about three days out of Norfolk heading home on an old ammunition ship. We had an old Radio 3 receiver (probably an RBB) that we used as our entertainment and I had it on a 350-foot long wire antenna. There this station was, with that wavery, fading signal that is typical of an AM signal that is coming a long way. (Pelago - you recognize that).

We held it two mornings, then the guys from Jersey wanted to listen to NY stations.

I never figured I'd end up in Fort Wayne ....

I went out and started the '48 this afternoon and let it warm up. I opened up the heater valve and made sure that it worked. I have a problem - it sounds like it only starts on two cylinders, then picks up another - then all four. If I'm lucky it's a fouled plug. If not - maybe a sticky valve.

Of course it waits until snow is forecast to do this.

had a 56 pontiac that had a stuck valve, old gas station guy said pour a can ot STP down the carb while running and it would free the valve up, he was right it worked, smoked like hell but too many mosquitoes anyway. that engine wound up in a 1946 ford convertable with a 4 speed chevy transmission (one of the cars my mother sold)

We were too cheap for STP. Water drizzled down the carb would knock the carbon loose, just don't add it too fast.

WIRL 1290 AM was our local radio station. It was great until the mid 90's, then it became all talk all the time. Doctor shows and farm reports were the only thing on from then on. The service truck I had only had an AM radio, but I wasn't excited to listen to Dear Abby on the radio.

going in.jpgengine in1.jpgengine in2.jpg

motor and frame now one!!! engine is in!! think i will name this thing busted gut or BG for short, tuff stuff when alone and there is a little ramp to go into garage and that made it tough, used a come long to get up ramp

Excellent work. She is really coming together.

i bet that darn motor and trans weighs more than two of modern 4 cyl,,, heavy heavy heavy. Years ago i had to rebuild a chevy vega, crappy little car with a mis match engine, steel block but aluminum head, but the point of this is, i could actually pick up the block and lift it out of the car. I am not sure that two grown strong men with a lifting bar and block chained to it could lift the engine and Xfer case of a m38a1... My engine hoist did it no problem but moving it (hoist and all) was not easy, probably because of little wheels on hoist, but non the less it was not easy and now i will lift the other engine out of the spare m38a1 and put it on the skid that i have....
    Did something today that have never done, used one of those thread kits to rethread the rocker arm that holds the stud that keeps the valve cover from leaking, mine was pretty bad, took rocker arm off and recut threads and inserted new threads and re installed rocker arm (after blowing out all the pieces and parts with air) now the darn thing wont leak.... i know could have bought a new one but wth rather fix than buy
    Last edited by pelago; 11-12-2017 at 09:14 PM.

These engines/transmissions/transfer case were made with good American steel/cast iron. They are heavy, but they last forever. Once a pon a time, I had friends that raced the local dirt track circuit. We raced in the Sportsman division, so we used a 355 SBC, with a 525 lift cam. We did have a spare engine, but we used it in the truck used to pull the car to the track. The spare utilized all the same hook ups that the race car did, minus the transmission. The season championship night came, and we went out for the heat race. The engine in the car developed a head gasket leak, and was down on power. We decided to perform an engine swap before the feature race. Four of us attacked the car and the truck at the same time, for the engine swap. Two of us prepped the truck for the removal, and two on the car. We took two floor jack handles, and made a cradle to lift the engine out. Two guys per side lifted the engine out of the car, and set it on the trailer. Then we went and pulled the engine of the truck. The truck was much more difficult, because of the height of the truck compared to the car. We were able to set the engine in, plumb it, and have it running within an hour. We made it out on the track and placed third in the feature. The only problem was that we had to put the original wounded engine in the truck, just to get home. It was a long night. In a related story, we were preparing mid week to run a 100 lap memorial race, that had a descent pay out. We were prepping the engine for the race, and found an issue with the passenger side head. We looked under the bench for our stash of engine parts and only found a one ported passenger side 305 head. We were in crunch time by this point, so it was decided to go for broke, and install the 305 head. The budget was already gone through with shock and tire purchases, so there was no more money left, or enough time to prep a new head. We assembled the engine, then loaded up the car. We pushed the car to the weigh scale, and opted out of the mud laps. The first start of the car was when we went to the heat race. The engine sounded odd, but ran with plenty of power. Since we didn't go out for mud laps, we had to start at the rear of the field. He quickly weaved his way through the crowd of 10 cars, within the 10 laps. As soon as the checkered flag dropped, he shut down the engine, and was pushed into the pit. We went through and adjusted the valves with it hot, and then let it rest until the feature. For the last race, we started at the mid pack, outside row. When the green flag was dropped, the car took off again. He quickly ran toward the front, and maintained a sizable lead. Over the coarse of the race, the engine did fine. Towards the end of the race, the engine started to puff a bit out of the right side header, when the throttle was released. The longer the race went on, the more the passenger side head was smoking. The lead was starting to diminish, but by the time the checkered flag, the second place car was hot on his heals. He was able to hold them off, and win the race. When we tore down the engine, the passenger bank piston rings were pretty much burnt up, and the crank bearings showed much more wear than the left bank. The difference in compression between the two sides, made the engine unbalanced. It was a good test of theory, with an interesting outcome.

An engine hoist is worth its weight in gold. I use mine for way more than it was designed for. Pulling bodies off the frame are a snap with an engine hoist. I work alone, so I use it to make up for a second set of hands.
    Attached Images Attached Images