Page 28 of 252 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Ira - Awhh, man. You've done such a nice job of refinishing a wheel you can't use. Somebody out there needs it!

That's the problem, I take on other people's projects, then don't get to my own. At one time I had five Willys, and one Mutt at the house. Only three of them belonged to me.

The M151A2 belongs to a guy I worked with. It was sitting in his back yard for several years. He was down on his luck, so I offered to do some rust repair. The floors were pretty much gone, so it took a lot of metal work. It was good therapy for him, to clean up all the piece parts. He is now driving it around, and enjoying it once again.
    The 1952 Dodge M37 belonged to my father. He bartered for it from the local volunteer fire district. It had less than 12,000 original documented miles on it. It resided in Washington State now, with its new owner.

Pelago, there is a market out there for your M151 rims. Since you have spent the time to get them perfect, I don't see you having any issues. If you get desperate, I do have the four 16" civilian wheels that we could come to an agreement on. I have to believe that they were original to the 47 CJ2A I had, and maybe the tires also. The tires hold air, but that's about it. The side walls are coming off in chunks, but I have driven up town on them. I have several 15" wheels, but they just don't look right on the M38A1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Ira - Awhh, man. You've done such a nice job of refinishing a wheel you can't use. Somebody out there needs it!

yeah sandblasted primered and painted. damn but in fact i did not verify that they were in fact the correct ones for the M38A1

There should be a market out there for the M151 wheels. Since you've gone through and made them pretty, you should be able to get a fair price for them. The going price on line is $99.00 for motor pool fresh wheels. These have the original multi layers of paint. You may try and get $150 for yours.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-17-2018 at 02:07 PM.

LarrBeard,

My neighbors never know what I may drag home next.

We're old soldiers and sailors here, so you knew we were going to ask...

What are the details on the cannon?

Thank you all for your service, first of all.
    The cannon is a reproduction Napoleon 3/4 scale. The barrel was purchased from a college professor who had it set on the diving board of his pool. It was weathered, but intact. The carriage and blacksmithing was hand built by my father. The wagon wheels were found at a farm auction, if I remember correctly. The bore was between 2 1/2" and 2 3/4". Again from memory. The cannon would consume a 35 mm film canister, and a half of black powder... However many grains of powder that is? It was a crowd pleaser.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-19-2018 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Thank you all for your service, first of all.
    The cannon is a reproduction Napoleon 3/4 scale. The barrel was purchased from a college professor who had it set on the diving board of his pool. It was weathered, but intact. The carriage and blacksmithing was hand built by my father. The wagon wheels were found at a farm auction, if I remember correctly. The bore was between 2 1/2" and 2 3/4". Again from memory. The cannon would consume a 35 mm film canister, and a half of black powder... However many grains of powder that is? It was a crowd pleaser.
    i have a cannon ball with that diameter, i actually found that on a farm that was on the periphery of stones creek battlefield, my great grand father fought there and later became the commanding officer of old soldiers home in danville il later it became the va hospital

We are just such endless founts of arcane knowledge around here.

For those reading along, black powder is graded by grain size. Black powder for cannons is generally #1, the next finer grade is Fg, followed by FFg (generally considered as a rifle powder) and FFFg, pistol powder.

Since I was overcome with curiosity (it's winter and its too dern cold to get out of the house), I found a 35mm film can and I filled it with FFFg black powder to get an idea of just how many grains would be in a film cannister.

Drum roll ... a film cannister is about 475 grains of FFFg. I would guess that #1 or even Fg would not pack as tightly - be less dense- so guess 425 or 400 grains to a cannister and a cannister and a half of cannon powder would be about 600 grains (plus or minus, your results may vary).

Doing a little arithmetic - with a cast iron ball, you would have a 3-pounder!

Now - a Jeep question:

Since I'm not a "little Jeep" person, I'm not familiar with "combat wheels". I looked and read that they were two-pieces, bolted together front and back with 8 bolts and, from what I can see - they are precious now.

Why are they called "combat wheels" and why two pieces.

Old coots want to know!