Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1960 Willys Truck 6-230

1960 Willys Truck 6-230

I am the proud owner of a 1960 Willys Truck that was built in Australia by Willys Australia. For its age this truck is in exceptional condition, fitted with an overdrive and has very little rust.photo (4).jpg Picked up my project from Windsor in New South Wales and towed it back to my property in South Australia.photo (5).jpg It is fitted with an overhead cam Tornado 230 engine which turns over freely on the starter, I did think about trying to get it running but there was no spark and the brakes are completely shot so I didn't bother messing with it. I decided we would just start pulling it down,photo (3).jpg progress has been relatively painless with about 95% of the bolts all coming undone, we are ready to lift the cab off now just have to unbolt the steering box and feed out through the floor. I will post progress reports on this Trucks journey to the finish line and rolls out with a new lease of life.

g`day Ashley.

that looks like the one that was on evil bay a few times ?. hope you got it for a fair price. it looks to be in pretty good shape for an old beast.
    good to see another aussie on here and with the same truck as mine. i havent done a lot with mine yet but have been buying some new parts ready to go. hopefully we will be able to share finds and help each other solve a few puzzles along the way.

dave

Hi Dave, Yes I went and visited that fella last time he didn't sell it and we did a deal. Worth every cent I reckon, great piece of history and they are as scarce as hens teeth. I will get a lot of satisfaction returning it to its former glory. You look to have a decent unit yourself. I reckon we may be able to trade information along the ways on this job.
    Regards
    Ashley
    Last edited by Ashley; 05-26-2012 at 01:55 AM.

i wonder how much apart the trucks were built.
    from what i have read the 6-230 came out in mid `62, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Tornado_engine . and there was only 366 of the 6-230 cab/chassis built in australia http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/worl...iaHistory.html .

i will get the numbers off mine, they may have followed each other down the assembly line.

Here are the data plates off my ute,photo (2).jpgphoto (3).jpg from my research the 230 was introduced in 1962 in the US but as mine is a 1960 year build and has a 230 I assumed that the Australian built truck got the engine early.

thanks for the pics... you`ve shown me yours so now i better show you mine.

by the australian plate it looks like they were 82 trucks apart. mine being the earlier one.
    by the serial numbers there is 843 difference so i imagine that would be 843 willys vehicals total ( trucks, jeeps, wagons, etc) with 82 trucks being part of the mix.

my speedo is showing 74923 miles , hard to tell if its the first time round.

i am curious to know how you have identified yours as a `60 model ? or are you just guessing. ? we had a `60 model on the farm when i was a kid that the nieghbours bought new. it has the 2 piece windscreen and the "super hurricane 6-226" flat head engine. as the 6-230 was an american designed and built engine i very much doubt that it could have been in australia before 1962, your truck may be a bit newer then you thought. ???

ok.. i have been doing some more research. i have the master parts list book with a list of serial numbers and it list the numbers starting with #55178 - 10001 and up to be 1962 4wd cab & chassis with 6-230 OHC tornado engine

first two numbers "55" represent "truck line", third number "1" is "cab chassis" , fourth number "7" is "6 cyl 230 cu in OHC", fifth number "8" is "all 4WD" .
    there is no reference to the letter at the end of the serial number.

I will check where I came up with 1960, going by your note its got to be 62 +. I thought the windscreen looked like the center bar was taken out and a one piece was screen was fitted. Might be how it was.

another difference i have found with the `60 model 6-226 that we used to have ( my mate owns it now in central nsw )

and my 6-230,

is the blinkers. apparently australia made turn indicators compulsery around that time . the `60 6-226 does not have indicators but the 6-230 has them fitted into the front guards. they look to be factory fitted.
    Last edited by dave351cid; 05-31-2012 at 05:48 AM.

I reckon your right Dave, my truck has those indicators in the front guards.