Thread: Ross steering box lubricant

Ross steering box lubricant

My 1947 CJ2A has a grease nipple on the Ross steering box. I understand that SAE 140 is recommended. Would anyone know if it would hurt to add the 140 if there is grease in the box?

Adding SAE 140 Oil to Ross Steering Box

What happened in a lot of cases was that the oil seals leaked (or the arm wore to the point that seals didn't seal) and folks just put a grease fitting into the oil plug hole. That keeps some lube on the worm and fingers, but, grease doesn't crawl around to lube the bearings at the top of the steering box. I suspect that any damage has already been done. Adding SAE 140 isn't gong to hurt anything, but - I'll bet you'll find out if the seals are in good shape!

On the '48 truck, we had a groove worn on the shaft and we had to replace both the seals and the arm. Of course, Murphy helped us and someone put the worn arm back the first time - so out it came again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Rdjohn, I have seen this lubrication issue come up in a few threads. This is a source for the correct lube for any old style box. I used this on a few old boxes.

https://www.ecklers.com/early-chevy/...-376792-1.html
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-16-2019 at 04:27 PM.

although at the bottom of the totem pole on experience, i have two ross steering boxes one for the m38 and one for the m38a1 (should be noted that either one works in either vehicle but you can not switch the steering shaft, they have to be the same) BOTH THAT I DIS ASSEMBLED HAD GREASE IN THEM, AND BOTH HAD ZERO LUBE WHERE IT NEEDED TO BE. ALL THE GREASE WAS CAKED UP AND AWAY FROM ANYTHING. The grease turned out to be a total error, these things need lube that flows and yeah they are temperamental as far as leaks

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Hello Rdjohn, I have seen this lubrication issue come up in a few threads. This is a source for is the correct lube for any old style box. I used this on a few old boxes.

https://www.ecklers.com/early-chevy/...-376792-1.html
    00 wow that has to be some heavy stuff, sorghum in jan?

It is a runny Vaseline like lube. It is pretty cool. Very close to a thick STP if you are old enough to know what that is! (I sure am) It will pour but not very well. It is very simular to what was in there originally. As many have pointed out, if you use the wrong stuff bad things can happen. The lube needs to be VERY viscous as it is designed to travel up the worm gear to lube the top bearing. I had to tear my box down right after I built it. Low and behold just a few turns on it and the lube was everywhere! good stuff. It was even going up the bearing cap a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-16-2019 at 04:53 PM.