Thread: 1951 Willys Pick Up

1951 Willys Pick Up

Hello, I've recently bought a 51 Pick Up and have started tearing it down. I've got the engine and transmission out but can't get the flywheel off in order to put it on an engine stand. I'm really no mechanic but a little mechanically inclined. If I can I'm going to restore it myself. Any ideas what I need to do to get the flywheel off would be greatly appreciated.
    It has been sitting for 35 plus years not running. The engine is locked up. No doubt I'll be asking questions as this progresses.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tim..

First question everyone will ask in this sort of a question ... what engine?

But the answer is pretty general. Once the clutch stuff is off, the flywheel is attached by 6 bolts and 65 years of rust and corrosion. Once the bolts are out, all that should be holding it in place is corrosion and inertia. Mechanical persuasion usually works -a 3-pound hammer applied against a piece of 2 x 4 to break it loose. Don't let it fall off and ding up the gear teeth ...

Send pictures! We're all curious to see where you start out.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    First question everyone will ask in this sort of a question ... what engine?

But the answer is pretty general. Once the clutch stuff is off, the flywheel is attached by 6 bolts and 65 years of rust and corrosion. Once the bolts are out, all that should be holding it in place is corrosion and inertia. Mechanical persuasion usually works -a 3-pound hammer applied against a piece of 2 x 4 to break it loose. Don't let it fall off and ding up the gear teeth ...

Send pictures! We're all curious to see where you start out.

Thanks LarrBeard, I guess I should have said what engine. It's the 4-134F. Anyway, I tried what you said and got it off. Thanks again. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will. I did find it in TX listed here.

I really wish I wasn't as ignorant as I am. If I wasn't I'd post a picture of my truck.

Getting a picture on here sounds a lot harder than it really is:

A. Take a picture on your phone or digital whatever

B. Get it on your computer (send it to yourself in an email)

C. At the bottom of the bulletin board here, click on "Go To Advanced"

D. Scroll down to find the box "Manage Attachments"

E. In the "Upload Files from your computer" box, click on "Choose File".

F. Click on the picture name.

G. Click "Upload" and it's there. That's my truck when we had to remember it was going to the metal refinisher, not the metal recycler.

H. It turned out pretty good, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My 51 Wyllis pick up.

If I did it right this time there should be a picture of my pick up the day I picked it up in Texas.

(Thanks again LarrBeard)

Awhhh man - that has the potential to be a beauty!

Here's my starting place. Looks king of familiar doesn't it?

If my truck turns out half as nice as yours finished I'll be a happy man.
    Last edited by Tim..; 04-04-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Both cool trucks