Thread: crank and water pump pulleys not in same plane

crank and water pump pulleys not in same plane

Hello friends, I'm relatively new to jeeps so please bear with me. I recently acquired a cobbled together CJ2a...fiberglass tub etc. previous owners went to a lot of work redoing everything.. wiring, lights, everything under the hood, brakes etc. So its difficult to tell what it really is, but its nice to drive and everything works.
    Here is the issue: the engine serial number has the prefix 141 which indicates the engine is from a 1941 willys "141 Americar" and runs great.
    However the crank pulley and the water pump pulley are not in the same plane. They are offset my about 1/2 to 3/4 inch which causes axial force on the water pump making it scream. In other words the pulleys are offset by that amount so the fan belt is at an angle causing sideways stress on the pulleys.
    Can anybody tell me why the pulleys don't line up?
    Thanks, Tom

Friends, I have been searching for an answer. The crank pulley on this 1941 "141 Americar" engine has the "double groove" which I don't think came on this engine.I think the 2nd groove is for a governor or something. There is a single groove pulley available. The single groove shown online shows sort of a "boss" which appears to place the groove a bit further away from the engine block which is what is required, but I don't have any way to compare the 2 styles to see how far the groove is away from the engine block. If the single groove is 1/2 to 3/4 further away from the block, that is what I need.
    Does anybody out there have both styles to measure or possibly know the dimensions? Here is the pulley I am referencing: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Jeep-Willys-M...JXD9ES&vxp=mtr
    Thanks