Thread: 1963 cj5 Hello! Need brake advice

Hybrid View

1963 cj5 Hello! Need brake advice

Hello, new to this forum, but owned my cj for past 13 years, No problems with it, really, but now I'd like to do a complete brake job, maybe add front disks if possible??? an maybe a booster, even if I mostly have to keep all drums. Any brake advice appreciated!

Two Comments:

A. The original hydraulic brakes, if they are properly maintained, do everything needed to stop that little CJ-5. Just an opinion - discs are an overkill.

B. Go get the KWAS catalog - they have every brake part you would ever need - even a disc brake upgrade kit if you want to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Two Comments:

A. The original hydraulic brakes, if they are properly maintained, do everything needed to stop that little CJ-5. Just an opinion - discs are an overkill.

B. Go get the KWAS catalog - they have every brake part you would ever need - even a disc brake upgrade kit if you want to go that way.
    Thanks LB. I'm leaning toward just a complete drum & shoe overhaul. Although I think I'll include a dual master & booster. Long term, if the gearing can stand it, I'd like to replace 4 cyl with in-line 6 or mayby buick v-6. So I want it to stop well.

You wrote:

" if the gearing can stand it, I'd like to replace 4 cyl with in-line 6 or mayby buick v-6."

As far as pure strength is concerned, the gearing can stand it. The issue with these little guys is that the standard gear ratio for the differentials was 5.38:1. The larger engines may deliver more torque, but they are still going to be hi-RPM if you want to cruise at 55 or 60 MPH.

Good luck!
    "

Thanks for letting me know!