Thread: Help with vin

Help with vin

Anyone know what model wagon I have by this vin #...5416815019

That doesn't look like a valid serial number - too many digits according to the various lists.

Did that come off of the vehicle nameplate or was it on a title? If it came off a title, it probably was assigned by a BMV somewhere.

Those are all the numbers on the vin tag screwed to the door jamb. How many digits should there be?

vin #?

Quote Originally Posted by Ddecdoc View Post
    Those are all the numbers on the vin tag screwed to the door jamb. How many digits should there be?
    UPDATE: After looking at the vin info I think the wagon I have is a 55...from what I see on my vin tag the number is 54168. I am attaching a photo of the tagIMG_0820.jpg

I took a closer look at model and serial numbers and I had decided that the number you had posted was a combination of model and serial number. The picture made that a lot clearer. Yep - that's what it is.

The first five numbers on the tag are the Model Number. 54168 is the designation for a 4 X 4 Station Wagon with the 6-226 engine. It looks like this model was introduced in 1955, the serial number block starting with 5001. 6,093 of them were produced in that year - the last official 1955 serial number being 11093. (Serial number endings are not always correct on the 'official" lists - but they are good indicators).

You have a moderately late production 1955 wagon, originally with the 6 cylinder, 226 CID displacement engine.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 06-28-2017 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Correct spelling errors

You have a Model 54168 4 x 4 Station wagon, built in 1955. About 6900 of them were built, with the first serial number 5001. The wagon originally had the 6-226 engine.

The 54168 designates the Willys model, the last five digits the vehicle serial number.

Thank you for the info. I found a manual for the 55 and although my wagon does not have an engine or trans I am sure the manual will come in handy for other parts of the vehicle. I am leaning toward a mechanical benz diesel or a 4-53 detroit. Haven't decided yet for sure but it will have a diesel in it!

I can't do 'rithmetic too good. It's a '56.

Really? Not sure it makes a difference considering my plan for it!