Thread: I have a CJ5 and I have a question about what engine to get

Hybrid View

I have a CJ5 and I have a question about what engine to get

Hello Everyone. I recently purchased a Jeep Willys CJ5 from my friend for $1000. I though it was a pretty good deal after only doing a quick google search.

After replacing the fuel filters and the carburetor I was able to get it to start and run. I was told by the previous owner that a new rod bearing and new head was needed so it would be best to either rebuild the engine or just get a new one. (does that sound right)?

If that does sound right can anyone please recommend the best engine for me (one that wont break the bank)

I am new to this, but really enjoying it can you please be detailed/specific in your reply

Thank you

Erin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let us see the view from the front. What engine does it have now - depending on year it could be an F-134 or the 225-V6.

Now, if it starts and runs, does it make strange noises like a rod bearing clattering around? Getting a crank turned isn't that big a deal - certainly less expensive than a new engine. And, I ask - why a new head, cracked?

I would suggest you let someone with Jeep experience look it over. You might have a diamond there - not just a lump of coal.

(Rebuilt F-134's run about $3K, good machine shop rebuilds run about the same).

I am working on getting a engine picture up here.

My cj5 has a F134 hurricane engine.

It starts up well and runs and it makes a horrible person nocking sound. It also blows a blue smoke on start up and also acceleration.

I had a good friend look at it and he thinks it is a rod nock. if you touch the block while the Jeep is running you can feel the knocking sound.

He said that you have to do a engine rebuild/ new engine.

I received quotes to rebuild the engine at 4k. I am exploring purchasing a engine and installing it myself with help from my father inlaw.

What engine would you suggest? Research that I did said the buick v6 or Chevy 283. Would I also have to replace the transmission or are there conversation plates?

Thanks. I hope that is enough Info for you.

The little V6's and small block Chevy's are common swaps, but a lot of folks find that with the rear-end ratios of the Jeeps, the new engines run a lot higher RPM at cruise that they did in the original installation.

By the time you get the new engine and modify things for a transmission swap, you'll have more than the $4K for an engine rebuild in the project. I'm prejudiced - I like to keep Jeeps original. (Old Jeeps are chick magnets...)

Good luck...