Thread: Ham's 48; It's Not About The Trophies

Ham's 48; It's Not About The Trophies

A week or so ago was the big Classic Car Show at one of the shopping center parking lots, so I decided that there wasn’t anything more classic than a ’48 Willys Pickup. The event was sponsored by a local chain of sandwich shops and it was run by the local Corvette Club – so off we went.

When I arrived there were a lot of places up by the music and refreshments, but the person parking cars told me to go to the guy in the orange shirt – way back by the bowling alley. The Chevys, GTO’s, Olds 442’s and their like got those places up by the music and food. (Now, they were beautiful cars – but I felt a lot like the ugly duckling at the party).

So, we got set up and waited a bit. Then, the magic started – a lady was holding her son so he could see into the truck.

She told her son, “Andy, it’s like Grandpa George’s Jeep, only it’s a truck”.

I told her to “Go ahead, open the door and let him drive it.”

“Oh, we can’t do that” she said.

“Of course you can, that’s what it’s for” I replied.

That’s when I realized (again) that old Jeep trucks have a magic about them. People are amazed that you can touch them – and not get hollered at for leaving finger prints on the paint.

By the time the day was over, little kids had “driven” the truck.

Their mothers had driven the truck.

Even their grandmothers wanted their turn to drive.

One gentleman told the story that he had accidentally touched a car earlier and had been thoroughly scolded for not respecting the vehicle. (Ham's ’48 has a windshield sign that says “Go ahead, touch me – I’m that kind of truck – I like the attention”).

We didn’t win any prizes that day, but we left a lot of people with memories of sitting in a truck like their GrandPa, Uncle or Father had owned at one time or another. I believe that’s what being a Jeep person is all about. Get out there and show them!
    Attached Images Attached Images