Thread: New member

Have had about 20 jeeps over the years. Current one is FC 150. Fair condition but I have to replace all the seals, engine, transmission, transfer case. No problem, the major problem is you can not steer it. What have members done to improve the steering?

A Saginaw conversion works well on my wagon. Power steering makes maneuvering a breeze. I purchased the wagon with the upgrade already performed, but am in the process of a frame off refresh. The Saginaw is mounted to the driver's side front frame horn, (boxed and re-enforced). The steering shaft runs under the cross member, through a pillow block bearing, then ends at a universal joint. The steering column is also an upgrade to a 68 jeep tilt column. The power steering hoses are run through the forward cross member, with the hole boxed in for strength. During the refresh, I am planning on adding another cross brace to eliminate any frame horn twisting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a nice clean unit. I do not have the engineering ability to design such a unit. I am trying to get a electric unit built to instll. Thank you for the pictures.

An electric unit would be interesting. Would it be a rack and pinion set up? I'm trying to work it up in my mind, on how it would work out on fitment. The newer cars that have this technology, (speed compensating variable ratio steering) work well, but some road feed back is not transmitted to the steering wheel. If a stock sized steering wheel is used, the steering may become twitchy at speed. I would be interested to learn more, because I may be incorrect in my figuring. I look forward to see how it turns out.

There are many companies making electric steering. Most are variable ratio so no assist at highway speeds and 100 percent assist stoped. If you lose power goes to manual steering. Entire unit is under dash. About 7 hours to install and most units 1200 to 1500. Made for almost every vehicle from 1927 on. I am rebuilding the entire front end and then will put on the electric steering unit.

I'll have to explore that option more. Sounds like a nice set up. Thank you for the update, and leads.