Thread: Another new Willys owner in Maryland - 52 m38a1

Another new Willys owner in Maryland - 52 m38a1

Hey guys, I am taking care of my late Grandfather's 1952 m38a1. It is very sentimental for me as he had it as long as I've been alive. I learned to drive on it, hunted with it, got stuck with it, and generally just had a blast with my Granddad. He told me he bought it from the local volunteer fire department in the late 70s. I remember it being a faded out fire engine red at one time but the underside of the hood is still OD. He was a business owner and had all maroon trucks back then so it got a maroon paint job to match in the 90s and has stayed that way since. Grandma isn't ready to sell it yet but she knows i'll take care of it and enjoy it so that is the goal right now.

I have driven it plenty but never really had to worry about maintenance so I thought it may be good to join a group full of folks that know the ins and outs. He used it a lot and didn't care about historical accuracy so I am trying to understand what I have first and then may work on putting things back to original or at least to something that makes sense. It has been driven continuously since 52 so at least I know it was maintained in some fashion. I'll likely have questions as I get into it and would appreciate advice. I won't take it back to original military paint and everything since that isn't what i remember but I would like to get it back to the way I remember it back in the 90s when I was learning to drive.

I need to find a new windshield latch since only one side is grabbing and I want to get the starter button on the floor working again. He put in a push button a few years ago when that quit. I also need to troubleshoot the blackout lights since they don't seem to be working. After that maybe some new seat covers and touching up the paint. I know how these things go though. Once you start looking close you find all kinds of things that need done.

The pic is a few months before he passed. My wife and baby are in the front seat and everyone was going over the hill and through the woods for some ice cream. The tail end of my wife's daily driver is in there also. It figures I've got a 2015 unlimited in OD and a 52 m38a1 in red
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well howdy neighbor! Always good to see a fellow Marylander!

Follow the posts from "Pelago". He is putting an M38A1 back together and he is having all kinds of adventures...

Adam,

Pelago has lots of useful information. He is precise when it comes to maintaining his equipment.

I agree with you on keeping your Grandpa's Jeep just the way it is. The memories that you have with him, in this Jeep are worth more than it would ever be worth to anyone else. Don't change a thing. The paint looks good as is. The color represents the legacy of your Grandpa and his business.

As far as the maintenance, the first order would be to purchase a Technical Manual TM 9-2320-208-34P M38A1. These manuals are designed for the average 18 year old soldier to follow, so it is well laid out. The next item on your list is the black out lights. My first question is, was the electrical system changed from 24 volt volts to 12 volts? (is there two batteries or just one, or an alternator/original generator) If the Jeep is converted to 12 volt, than most likely the bulbs in the black out lights are still 24 volt. If that checks out, then look to see if the electrical harness has been modified. If the Jeep was converted, then the original harness would most likely be bypassed.

Thanks guys. I will follow Pelago for sure. I got the Service Manual from Kaiser Willys and it looks pretty straightforward but I will look for the technical manual as well. I've been working away this week but I'll get into the electrical this weekend.