Thread: Barn CJ5

Barn CJ5

Hey Yall (Alabama)
    A friend who restores vehicles, when I told him that I was looking for an old jeep to restore, told me about one in a barn that a mutual church members late husband had. I got in touch with her and she sold me a 1963 CJ5 that has a 65 Buick V6 in it. My first car was a 49 CJ2A that I did a partial rebuild on in an old garage as a teenager. I am looking forward to restoring this one. The one thing that I will need more information on is the transmission/transfer case arrangement. This model has 4 levers, I think from left to right gears, range, 2/4 wheel drive, and overdrive. Can anyone confirm this, and give me any more information?
    Andrew

It’s been a while since I had a CJ5 but I think left to right was gears, 2/4, range and overdrive. The way to confirm is the range should have 3 positions (high, neutral and low).

Welcome Mr. Andrew. To have four levers, your CJ5 will probably have an aftermarket overdrive. Usually the overdrive lever will be between the transmission shifter and the transfer case levers. The overdrive is a nice feature to have, when traveling at highway speeds. The cruise speed will be up from 50 mph to around 60 mph on flat ground. Sounds like you have a nice barn find!

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Welcome Mr. Andrew. To have four levers, your CJ5 will probably have an aftermarket overdrive. Usually the overdrive lever will be between the transmission shifter and the transfer case levers. The overdrive is a nice feature to have, when traveling at highway speeds. The cruise speed will be up from 50 mph to around 60 mph on flat ground. Sounds like you have a nice barn find!
    After reading this, I think that is correct. The overdrive lever was easy to reach in mine and it wouldn’t make sense for it to be on the far right where it would not be convenient to shift while rolling down the road or trail. Sometimes I wish I had that jeep back. A ‘66 CJ5 with a V-6, overdrive and a roll bar with proper support to the frame to keep the wheel wells from breaking out.