Thread: Transfer case won’t shift into 4wd...

Transfer case won’t shift into 4wd...

Got the CJ3A running and drove around the yard a little. Everything seems to be working as expected except the transfer case won’t shift into 4 low. Tried rocking it, coasting and everything else I could think of to remove any load from the gears. It doesn’t grind, it just won’t go into 4 low. 4 high seems to be flawless. 2 low isn’t a problem. I just cannot get both of those levers forward at the same time. Any thoughts?

I learned something today while testing the new brake master cylinder. My CJ3A shifts just fine in all gears and ranges. The defect was with the operator

It won’t go into 2 low but I don’t think it is suppose to. It seems like in the past (before a knob on the dash became the “normal” shifter) I had to run the hubs unlocked if I wanted to use 2 low. If I am wrong someone please correct me.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 01-20-2018 at 04:20 PM.

You are correct. The transfer case will not let you run with 2 wheel drive, low range. I have done the same, as far as unlocking the hubs, then running in four wheel low. Works well in getting out to pick up hay bales, and just letting the Jeep idle across the field. It isn't recommended to do so, but I have never seen any issues with running in low range, and the hubs unlocked.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-22-2018 at 07:32 AM.