Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy here

Your floor is really coming along well. Good job!

Thanks man, nothing's welded in yet, it's been in and out a few times to get it to fit right, I am pleased with the outcome so far, just need to figure out the holes for my pedals and then the tunnel area. Pedals are tricky right now due to them being slopped out, thinking I'm going to have to fix them before I get too much further.

I agree. When you get the bushings sorted out, then your pedal openings will be much easier to sort out.

Made some progress on the Jeep today, got most of the slip out of the pedals for now. Was able to get the front floor pans welded in. Started messing with the brakes... unscrewed the master cylinder cap and filled the resivoir, when I push down the pedal fluid squirts out if a tiny hole in the cap?? Is this the vent or maybe an actual hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsdale 85 View Post
    Made some progress on the Jeep today, got most of the slip out of the pedals for now. Was able to get the front floor pans welded in. Started messing with the brakes... unscrewed the master cylinder cap and filled the resivoir, when I push down the pedal fluid squirts out if a tiny hole in the cap?? Is this the vent or maybe an actual hole?
    Uhhhh, I don't think there should be a hole in the cap. I've never seen a vented master cylinder cap, but I've not been around a lot of the "little" Jeeps.

The only master cylinder cap that I can think of that is vented is the ones for the M38A1. The hole should be a 1/8" pipe threaded hole that ends up vented in the air cleaner for fording. Other than that, the plug should be solid.

Thanks, It didn't make much sense to me....Im going to mess more with them today if I get the chance. I will take some pictures as well. There wasn't much fluid in it before but there did seem to be some pressure, now I seem to have more pressure but it squirts fluid with every pump....

IMG_20180326_073317488.jpgIMG_20180326_073258621.jpgIMG_20180326_073331434.jpg definitely seems like the hole was made to be there. ..

I'm getting a better understanding to what you have. I believe what you have is a later version of the master cylinder than what the earlier Willys used. Our CJ2s through CJ3s use a solid cap that is not vented. Yours is vented, but should have a bronze filter underneath the silver diverter. A couple of questions that I have, (1) does the master cylinder seem to make enough pressure to hold a good pedal?....I imagine that may not be known yet because the brakes may not be bled as of yet. (2) When the cap is off, and the pedal is applied, is there a slight fountain created, or is there a large amount pushed upward. The reason why I ask, is that there is a possibility that the piston or the cylinder surface may be scared enough to allow pressure to bypass the piston and be diverted into the reservoir, then out the top.... Path of least resistance. The silver diverter on the bottom of your cap should redirect the slight fountain back down into the reservoir, where it belongs.

If there is an over abundance of fluid being pushed back into the reservoir, then there is a rebuild kit that can be purchased to rebuild your existing master cylinder. This would require a brake hone to true up the cylinder. The after market master cylinders are good, but I would recommend an American made Wagner brand, rather than the Crown Chinese made units. The Chinese cylinders are alright, but often times the mounting bosses are slightly off. Not a big deal, but a slight aggravation. The Chinese wheel cylinders are even more of an aggravation.

I am going to mess with it a little more, I did take the cap off and apply the pedal, there was a decent fountain, seem s like a decent amount of pressure at the pedal....I have to pull my drums and check the shoes etc, also both ports ate still run to the rear wheels, so I have some work to do.. I did remove the plate in the cap and there was nothing under it...