Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy here

Aerokroil followed by PB Blaster are my favorite penetrating oils. A mixture of 50% acetone and 50% ATF beats anything commercial though.

What's everyone running for a tire size? I have 31-10.50-15 right now, love the look just the doors are not on there lower tracks so they can open without hitting the tires.

Same but 1 inch narrower on the CJ3A.

IMG_20180420_071121568.jpgIMG_20180420_071129543.jpgjust a few pics of the rear frame repair. Just a few things spots here and there to take care of and the frame should be good.

Looks more than adequate. You may consider, (if you haven't already) boxing in the C channel for some more strength. Then tie in to a rear cross member, and you will be golden.

As far as tire sizes, it all depends on your end goal. I have a collection of maybe ten Jeep wheels, and all have tires on them. Unfortunately, few hold air, and there is only one match set in the lot. The one set is a 700X16, that were most likely the original set on a '46 2A that I ended up scraping. The side walls are pretty much gone, but for whatever reason they still hold air. I had them on my current 2A, and drove it around the neighborhood. While driving, chunks of side wall were flapping around, but the tread is alright, albeit extremely hard. The 2A now has a set of 78 X 8 X 15 on the front on aftermarket wagon style wheels, then the rear has 78 X 6 X 15 on the rear. The 15" tires work better in my opinion, because they offer a little better turning radius. The turning stops have to be turned out quite a bit to prevent the 16" tires from scrubbing the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-23-2018 at 04:47 AM.

Yeah not sure what I will do for tires yet, but do like the look of 31-10.5's. but I really would like to keep the doors operational. Who knows though....

I don’t have any good pictures of my tires. There is a side picture on the first page of my Frankenjeep thread. I haven’t had any clearance issues yet but I haven’t taken it on the trail either.

Forgot I had this picture on the phone:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 04-23-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Maybe with a combination of wheel backspacing and some creative design, you'll be able to come up with a happy medium. A 10 1/2" tire will fit within the wheel well, but any off camber maneuvering will cause the tire to run the inner fender well. A shallow backspacing, then the tire sticks out too far for your door to operate. After poking around the internet, this stuck out as a feasible idea;

https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/attac...428_192443.jpg

If you don't like the Dutch door effect, then you could fabricate something to where the lower door section is on a hinge at the cut line. When the door is slid to the rear, a guide rod could automatically push the lower section of the door outward to clear the tires. Just a thought.
    Then you could run whatever size tires you wished.

Personally, I am not a fan of any tires that stick out past the wheel well (or fender flares) because I don’t want to throw rocks at people I meet on the road and I have lost at least 3 windshields over the years to people who do. In some states it is illegal but I don’t know that I have ever heard of it being enforced.

Thanks for all the tips/advice guys much appreciated