Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy here

Just guessing but it could be the vacuum source for the original windshield wipers.

Okay so 12 volts across the battery...wire from battery+ to the coil +, coil - to distributor. Crank the engine, no spark.

See if the coil wire going into the top of the distributor will spark to the block. Be careful, it can be quite a jolt.

Just pulled off the distributor cap to check points gap, bumped it, I get spark from the points, cap and rotor look ok. 15183622697352020634605.jpg. How do the points look? I can't seem to get any further gap out of the points, I woul loosen the crew closest to the point contacts and then move the cammed screw next to it correct?
    Last edited by Ragsdale 85; 02-11-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Can't really tell from the picture. Need to see across the face of the area where they make contact. If they are bad they will look burned or be pitted. This link is to an aircraft page but don't let that bother you, points is points http://www.flight-mechanic.com/spark...nt-inspection/

If the points are sparking, you should be seeing something at the plugs. You might try a different plug or wire.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 02-11-2018 at 10:39 AM.

I missed part of your question or your edit, not sure which. I wouldn't loosen the screw unless I was adjusting or replacing. The arm can be pushed back far enough to look at the surface without hurting it. It is spring loaded so it will return as long as it doesn't get bent. If you have a manual handy, look up the point gap for your engine. A feeler gauge that thickness should slide into the gap at the widest position achieved by turning the engine.

ADDED: I believe .020 inches for the point gap.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 02-11-2018 at 10:59 AM.

The gap is too small I cannot get my feeler gauge between the points when it is open, when I loosen the screw to adjust them the still do not open far enough. I did switch the wire I was looking for spark on to another cylinder I was able to get one good spark then back to nothing..

If it is the same as mine there are actually 3 screws to mess with. Two hold the points in place and one to make the adjustment. Hopefully this picture will help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the help, going to go back out in a little bit and mess with it some more. Thanks again.

No problem. I am stalling this morning anyway. If I go outside I will be washing parts in ice cold avgas.