Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy here

Is it possible for my lobes on the distributor shaft to be worn? My rotor button was pretty loose on the shaft but I wedged it tight with some black tape on the flat spot. Is just that piece replaceable?

I will have to pass that one off to someone else. I would assume everything is replacable but changing points and condenser is as far as I have ever gone on one of these.

Was able to adjust the points with some modifications, they are definitely worn out a bit, with that said I was able to fire her up!! Dumped a little fuel down the carb and she started. Thanks for all the input and help, now for the long road ahead of fabrication and the electrical nightmare. I will keep you all posted and there will be many more questions.

Next question guys, I know so soon. lol. Lifted the Jeep up put the driveshaft back in, it was removed for the tow over....go to spin the driveshaft , no movement from the output of the transfer case in any gear....put a pry bar in the u-joint to break it free. Didn't take much force. Now can spin the output in any gear, clutch engaged or disengaged....pulled the inspection plate off the top of the bell housing and clutch lever action looks good. I can spin the engine and see the clutch and input shaft of the trans spin just no output to the rear wheels... sorry if this is confusing.... If I pull the top cover off the trans am I getting in to deep? Or is it pretty straight forward?? Trans is a T-90, transfer is Spicer 18 as far as I can tell.thanks again, maybe I'm making it to complicated

It’s been close to 30 years since I had one open. I don’t remember thinking I was in over my head although, if you are just trying to isolate where the disconnect is, it might be better to pull the rear circle cover (if there is not a pto or overdrive installed). There you would be able to see if there is anything getting to the transfer case. I would pull the drive shafts or put it on blocks in case something unexpected happens.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 02-11-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks again, I will have to take a look, I'm hoping the t-case is just in neutral the hi-low-neutral stick doesn't seem to move to easy, I can go shift in and out but not hi or low. I'm just trying it by rolling the Jeep for now not with the engine running yet, trying to make sure all systems are working, due to no coolant in the engine and no brakes...

A lot of old Jeeps have a hole punched into the passenger floor board , in line with the transfer case shifters. I know my 46 had the hole, and a piece of 1/2" rod to pry the levers in and out of gear at the transfer case. Some good penetrating fluid and they move easily now. If the lever is half in gear, it can cause your issue with the out put being locked up. Also now it is most likely is stuck in neutral. Odds are, there is nothing wrong with the transmission.

Yes, I agree, seems to be the hi-low-neutral stick won't shift. The stick itself is free, and the plunger moves slightly. How hard can I pry it before something breaks....

It may take a bit of pressure to get it into gear. I wouldn't take a hammer to it, but steady pressure. If there is someone who could push the jeep slowly, that would help things along. Sometimes the gear is lined up to where the teeth are not meshing together. If that doesn't help, then spray a bunch of penetrating oil around the shaft going into the transfer case. The penetrating oil will not do much good if there is rust around the slider, but it will free up the shaft if there is crud on it.

Problem solved guys, decided to drain the transfer case, pulled the plug and got lots of chunks, luckily it was all ice chunks, lol. Put the space heater to it for a while till the dripping stopped. Works smooth. What do you run for gear oil in these? Thanks again guys your a big help.