Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front axle Dana 44

Hybrid View

Front axle Dana 44

Rebuilding FC-150. The inner front wheel seals have to be replaced. Everybody says the axle is a Dana 25 but the seals do not fit. Parts house say it appears to be a Dana 44. But Dana 44 seals do not fit. At a loss to figure what seals this axle uses. Has anybody rebuilt a 1962 FC-150 front end.

From the parts breakdown, it should have been a Dana 25 or 27. I will have to assume that the axle was swapped out some time in the past. I wonder if the Dana 30 runs a different axel seal... I'll see what I can dig up.

You are on the right track. Just came from a company here in Reno and they said it was a old seal no longer made. They thought it might be from a Dana 30. They are going to custom make me two seals. Kind of expensive at 75 per seal but I got have them. They said it is the same seal used in a Bronco and Ford F-150, that might be worth checking. It appears that the FC models were assembled from a mixture of parts. This front axle is the last thing I needed to rebuild. I have rebuilt the entire truck with all new parts. If anyone has a question, I am no expert, but I will tell them what I know.

Will do. I like to learn about things I don't know too much about. Sounds like you have this project all under control.

I used to like having a specialty seal and bearing store close by. They could take a mangled seal, take some measurements, and zip off to the back. 10 minutes later, a new seal was in hand. Usually it was under $10, unless it was something really special. Same went for bearings. Great for building odd ball stuff, because you didn't have to explain what you are working on.

I think every Dana 30 I encountered out of an old Bronco had a bent axle housing. They usually got broken on the attempt to straighten them. A lot of the early Bronco parts (pre ‘75?) crossed to the F-100.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 02-12-2018 at 04:59 PM.

It’s been too long, I had to look a couple of things up. Ford put Dana 30s in the Bronco through 1971. In 1972 they went to the Dana 44. Whenever we encountered a bent Dana 30 housing we would try to find a Dana 44 because they didn’t bend and destroy the gears inside. I had a stock 1969 back in the 90’s and no one had any parts listings for the Bronco but a knowledgable man a the local NAPA store let me know about the F-100 connection. To this day I resist entering any other parts store chain.

I found out that the FC used a Dana 44F front axle which was used only 1957 to 1970. It was only used in a few trucks. It is a full floting axle. Now all I have to is find out which seal the factory used.

As all the good parts counter men have died off or retired, it's hard to find a parts source. Napa used to be the go to for everything, but they have closed all the good ones with the machine shops around me.

Our NAPA store doesn’t have a machine shop but they still make hoses.

Shouldn’t the pumpkin have a number on it near the pinion output for identification?