Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front axle Dana 44

Gmwillys was right. The axle has been changed. Somebody removed the factory axle, probley a Dana 25, and installed a Dana 44 spicer. The Dana 44 is a much better axle so this was a plus. Had trouble finding grease grade 0 which must be used on the front wheels. Had to special order it at 25.00 per can and it took two cans per wheel. As soon as I hook up the power steering I will be finished.

Most likely, the 44 axle came from a International Scout II. Throughout the seventies, they were one of the biggest consumers of axles that are close to the width of your FC. My knowledge of Scouts are limited to the 80 series, and the '67 1200B series pickup truck 2WD. All that I can say is that they were different from anything else out there at the time. The scout ran a slant 4 152 c.i. engine, (half of their v-8 engine literally). The 1200 B was a low rider's dream. It was a 3/4 ton, but sat low to the ground. It had the 266 v-8, with three on the tree. Long story short, International may have specked out the axle size, therefore that's why the seal didn't fit correctly?

Where exactly are these seals located in the axial? Time to replace mine and I don't see them.

The Spicer XGI

This will tell you more than you want to know. The BILL OF MATERIAL "BOM" is invaluable. I can tell you a bunch when you have that number. It is a 6 digit number followed by a space and 1 or 2 more digits. A service axle or housing will have a number usually beginning with a 2 and ending with an X. This number will help so much. It is sometimes so hard to see and/or find. It was stamped by hand into the tube. Some times you would think the strike was done by a child. I have seen barely indented numbers in warranty. The numbers are always there however no matter what someone tells you. You may have to use forensic techniques to see them. I always clean the area well with strong cleaners. Don't use the wire wheel or abrasive until you find the number. It is very small and usually a light stamp. If I cant see it with cleaning I lightly sand the tube with fine sand paper. Sometimes a little Prussian blue and then sandpaper. If you can find that number you will know everything about the axle, including the application.

My first Job when I got out of field work was as an Application engineer. The first project I was given was to put together the "Spicer XGI". It was a big deal back in the early 80's. I had the computer guy's dump all the axle production data from the earliest digital data we had. The IBM was as big as a small house. It was huge! Big rolls of green bar paper, huge piles were generated! It took a year and a half to produce the first book. Now day's it is a push of a button! Anyways, if you are messing around with Spicer axles, this book is invaluable.

https://spicerparts.com/identify
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-16-2021 at 03:31 PM. Reason: URL update