Thread: New here---Hello & NEED YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE.

New here---Hello & NEED YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE.

Hi folks - I would appreciate your opinions please. I'm staring at a barn find 1959 Jeep Wagon Utility - 2nd owner since 1964 - last registered in 1999. All original, I mean ALL ORIGINAL & in good condition with minor bodywork attempted - 109k miles - asking $3500. Turns over, wont start...yet. Seems like a positive deal????? Let me know your thoughts please-
    Happy Trails!

If all of the big pieces are there and in good shape (or relatively good shape), just about everything else can be rebuilt.

Now, just because it can be rebuilt doesn't mean it will be cheap and there will be adventures you never expected.

About the worst surprise you could find is a cracked block and I would suggest you do all of the due diligence you can to eliminate that possibility.

Old Jeeps are worth whatever anyone will pay for them. Check the Kaiser Willys ad page and see if there are any comparable vehicles there. But - ultimately it's like anything else. How badly do I want it and how little will the seller take for it?

If you and the seller are satisfied at the end of the day, it's a good deal. You're buying a vehicle almost 60 years old.

Let us know what you decide - all of us are curious! Post pictures!

BY the way - here is "Ham's '48". Look in the restoration pages for "Restoring Ham's '48" for a saga that just keeps on. "The darn thing is finally out" is another good story.

And - if you don't have to work on it - you aren't driving it enough!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Depends a whole lot on the condition of the body. Bodies are difficult and expensive to repair. The body is what you see. A paint job will cost between 2000 and 10000. You will have to inspect all the running gear. You will find a lot of things that need to be repaired or replaced. All the wires will require replacement. Most likely the cab will reqire a complete make over. A full CORRECT restoration will cost 20000 to 50000 dollars. Depends on how good a vehicle you want.

Thanks for this---good points---my hope is to get it running first and go from there----seems like its a fair investment based on all original?

You are looking at buying a vehicle that is almost 60 years old. There will be surprises as you go along.

Look at the Kaiser Willys classified section and see if there are any vehicles in there close to what you've found. That will give you an idea of price.

http://willysforsale.com/

The biggest potential issue is a cracked block. Everything else can be fixed (not necessarily easily or cheaply) but a cracked block means different engine. But, a used engine can be found.

You will find unexpected issues. They will range from uh-oh's to Aw poo's.

If the body is basically sound - if there are no rusted out places, you are way ahead of most rebuilds and restorations.

A good price is as much as you are willing to pay and as little as the owner will take. If, at the end of the deal neither of you is too upset - it was a good deal.

Let us know what you do - and post pictures. We are all curious.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just a note - never use "investment" around an old vehicle story. It's an investment where you will lose your shirt!

If you're not having to work on it - you're not driving it enough.

$3,500 isn't that bad of a price, if it is solid. The engine would be a big expense, if there are issues. If the body is in good shape, then that alone would make the asking price worth it. If the engine checks out, then that is a bonus. Everthing boils down to your end vision for the wagon. Good luck!