Thread: carb question

carb question

I have a 53 m38-a1 that has a kaiser willys supersonic 4L134 engine , the carb has no numbers on it but i think it is a solex carb that is for a f head engine , should i rebuild it or get a new carb that is for a L head engine ?

Go look through the Kaiser-Willy's catalog under carburetors and see if you can find one that looks like yours. It could be a Carter YF, WO or a Solex.

I'm not around a catalog just now, but in the front section you have a listing of vehicle and engines by year.

According to one posting:

The M38A1 was the first vehicle to feature the round fender design that would later become the distinguishing body style of the CJ-5 (part of the Universal CJ series). Produced first in 1952, following the retirement of the M38 model, the M38-A1 was re-designed as an “stand-alone” improvement, featuring round front fenders, a contoured hood, a two-piece windshield, top mounted windshield wipers, and powered by the new “Hurricane” F-Head engine and Warner T90 transmission

As in most old Jeeps, everything pretty well swapped around and you never can tell who put what engine in it at one time or another!

Generally speaking, L and F 134's were not that particular about what carburetor sat on top of them. If the linkage fits and the bolt holes match, I'd go with what you have already. Rebuild it and let 'er rip!