Thread: Fc 150

Fc 150

Just finished rebuilding my 1962 FC 150. Rebuilt every single part to factoy specifactions. Added power steering and power brakes. Took it for a test drive and everything worked. The only problem is it wondered on the road. On smooth pavement not too bad; on grooved roads tended to follow grooves. We think it is the 600x16 military tires. I am thinking that 15 inch wider tires may solve the problem. Any thoughts on this.

You can keep the 16" rims, but go to a radial tire. There are several choices for running close to the stock size. I wouldn't want to go much wider though, that bring more chance of drivability problems.

Now, keep in mind that the original wheels do not have a safety bead made into the wheel, so some professional tire shops may not want to install radials onto them, but I have never heard or experienced any issues of a tire coming off the rim. As long as keep up on tire maintenance, there are no problems. I have had radials on a few of my projects, and have never had a problem.

A steering stabilizer shock assemble would help some, but the tires would make the most difference.