Thread: Hello

Hello

Hello all. I just purchased an old rusty 1952 M38A1. I plan on restoring it to its former glory. I'm thinking the first step would be a complete teardown of the jeep, so I can get a feel for what I have and what I need to replace. This is my first vehicle restoration so I am happy to hear any suggestions. The body is pretty rough so I am either going to have to learn to weld and patch it, or just replace the whole thing. It looks like it was in the process of being converted to 12V but I think I want to change it back to 24V. Any thoughts on it?

Welcome! Glad to have you here. Check out "Well, the darn thing is out" on the restoration page. The fine gentleman there has been working on his M38A1, and knows all the ins and outs of what's involved in his restorations. We all will be glad to help where we can.

I would keep the 24 Volt. I might be hard headed, but my CJ2A is still 6 volt, and I am happy just the way it is. Parts may be hard to find, and cost more, but I like to keep them somewhat original.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-14-2018 at 01:57 PM.

I kept the '48 as 6-volt too. You have to invest in good cables and pay attention to grounding, but they were designed to turn over and start with 6-volt systems, even in cold weather.

We have good advice, bad advice, sympathy and opinions to offer - and all well worth what you will pay for them..

Let the adventure begin!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it would depend on what you intend to do with the vehicle. If taking it very far from home, how hard is to to get a battery or any other electrical component that may fail? 24 volt is easier than 6 volt. 12 volt components are built to take a higher amperage load than 24 volt components so temporary swaps are feasible to get home but I think replacing a 6 volt component with a 12 volt component will likely burn it out pretty quick.