Page 7 of 109 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

GM or LarrBeard I've got a question, whats your thoughts on powdercoating?
    I am thinking I want to send my frame and springs out to get them powdercoated so they stay nice and I dont have to keep touching them up with paint. I have a local guy in Akron that said he would do it for $400 if I brought it to him.

Powder coating is the way to go, especially for the frame. The springs will have to be broken down so that the springs get coated all the way through. $400 will worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    GM or LarrBeard I've got a question, whats your thoughts on powdercoating?

I had a lot of things on the '48 powdercoated. The coater was just across the street (literally, and it wasn't all that big a street) and we could get very quick turn-around.

I had the frame painted with a tough epoxy undercoat type of finish. Our thinking was that it would have more chip and stone resistance than powdercoating - and I have not regretted the choice.

I also had the wheels powdercoated and I am not as crazy about the results there. The coater did not get into the slots as well as he might have and there are areas that didn't get really good coverage. The coating seems to be a bit porous and I am seeing some places where even after bead blasting, some little rust spots are starting to peek through. So far I can hide them with a light buffing of steel wool, but I suspect in several years I will have to pull the wheels and get them redone - probably paint this time. But - they do look good ...

As far as springs go - you really do need to do something with them. I went with new springs and the paint on them turned out to be a primer. I have chipping and I need to do some serious touch-up on them come spring weather. I am not sure if you can get that big honkin' piece of metal hot enough to get the powder to adhere properly and I would be suspicious if the coater can get the penetration in between the leaves. If I had it to do over, I would do the springs with the same epoxy/undercoat as the frame. We did the underside of the bed and the bottom half of the firewall in the same stuff and so far it has held up very well.

The attached photos are to show the painted frame, how we split the paint on the firewall and how the powder coated wheels turned out - as well as a chance to show off my truck.... .

In the end, there is probably not a bad choice of doing either - just my opinion that is worth all you paid for it.

Merry Christmas!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Creating an even heating is the most important part of the powder coating process. If the heat is not sufficient, then the powder doesn't fuse together properly. In the case of LarrBeard's wheels, it sounds to me that there was two issues. The electrical charge wasn't sufficient to attract the powder to the wheel. Then the heat wasn't enough to fully bond the coating, causing a rough surface.
    After thinking about my previous post, I will concur with LarrBeard in regards to the springs. A better choice for a driver, would be the epoxy paint. This will have enough flex to keep from flaking off. The powder coat will have a tendency to want to chip off with spring flex. Either way, disassemble the spring pack to get a coating of paint/coating through out the entire spring pack. Add thin rubber, (inner tube) at the ends of each leaf to maintain the paint.

Thanks guys!!
    I think I’m just taking the frame and after listening to the “wisdom” from you guys I’ll paint the springs with epoxy.
    The guy at the Powdercoating shop said their oven goes to 800 degrees to make sure the powder fuses together and makes a better finish.
    I got to thinking at 800 degrees it would destroy all the rubbers in the springs and hangers and they are all new so I’ll just paint them and get the frame powder coated.
    I’ve got a guy wanting my 225 odd fire so the PC will be a wash.
    I’ll send pictures when it’s finished.
    IT NEVER ENDS DOES IT???
    Last edited by TJones; 12-07-2018 at 07:50 PM.

No it doesn't ever end. I've been trying to get back on the wagon project. I have whittled down the side projects to a couple. Soon, I will get the welder fired up.

A quick story about a powder coat shop. I worked at a Ford tractor shop, and a few doors down was a shop that fabricated a lot of sheet metal parts for Caterpillar. Long story short, the was a place that made pizzas for retail sales. You could buy a raw pizza for little to nothing, take the pizza down a couple doors, run it through the powder coat oven for 5 minutes. Perfect pizza, for a cheapo price.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-07-2018 at 10:25 PM.

It Never Ends, Does it?

[QUOTE IT NEVER ENDS DOES IT???QUOTE]

In a sense it is a Love/Hate relationship. Right now the '48 has the speedometer and oil pressure gauge out of the cluster. I sent them back to Bob's Speedometer to have them checked out. I have a cable/drive gear issue with the speedometer and they fixed the gauge we roasted - so now I have to figure out how to get them back in place.

IT'S LOT EASIER TO GET SCREWS OUT THAN TO LINE THEM UP TO PUT THEM BACK ...

You never seem to run out of things that need just a little more work done to them. And, by the time you get finished, something else needs to be looked at. Kind of like painting the Golden Gate Bridge, by the time you get to the end, it's time to start back on the other end.

You are right there LarrBeard!!!
    I bet I’ve ordered 100 316 stainless bolts,nuts,washers,spacers you name it from McMaster-Carr maybe 10 different times and if I would have ordered everything at once I probably would of saved $100 on shipping. But like you said about painting the Golden Gate Bridge you get to one end and say s#}t I should get some stainless bolts for that.
    So needless to say I’m trying to do it right and me being anal about EVERYTHING it may take a while.

As long as you are happy with your progress, that's all that matters. The little details may be missed by most, but you know it was done right, and to your standards.

Started smoothing the frame out before it gets powdercoated and putting new bumpers on due to the old bumpers were to pitted up to be powdercoated over and they were welded on and I prefer to have them bolted on, just being anal again.
    IMG_0169.jpgIMG_0170.jpgIMG_0171.jpgIMG_0172.jpg
    Last edited by TJones; 12-12-2018 at 05:01 PM.