Thread: How to convert my CJ3B from a 6-volt to a 12-volt system.

How to convert my CJ3B from a 6-volt to a 12-volt system.

Asking for help on converting my CJ3B from a 6-volt to a 12-volt system, what do I need to replace to make my CJ3B a 12-Volt system can someone help me with this project. Thanks
    Larry A. Triplett
    SFC, Retired Army
    1978-2014
    Iraq War Vet
    Larry.a.triplett@aol.com

The best way is to add a 12 volt single, two, or three wire self regulating alternator. Choose the one that meets your needs. You will have to get one with the correct brackets. Install a electronic pointless distributer. This will get rid of the coil and points. It will run a lot better. If the gauges are electric switch out to 12 volt. Change all the bulbs including headlights. The fan motor will have to be replaced unless you can use a resistor to drop 12 volts to 6. The starter will work as is but it will turn faster and heat up so you have to watch not to run the starter too long. May have to change the horn relay. All the current wiring will work. Add a 12 volt battery. Your Jeep will run a lot better and start easier on 12 volts.
    Last edited by Sebastian21; 04-21-2018 at 02:43 PM.

There are 12-volt to 6-volt regulators that let you keep the original gauges. Look at stuff for old Fords, they just added a regulator when they went to 12-volt systems.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    There are 12-volt to 6-volt regulators that let you keep the original gauges. Look at stuff for old Fords, they just added a regulator when they went to 12-volt systems.
    Even better idea how that I've looked a bit. Check zeebay for "12-volt to 6-volt buck converters". They are three wire devices, 12 volts in one side, 6 volts out the other and a ground wire. No more than $5/each. I don't know how much current gauges take, but even if it took one per gauge, you're still under $25 even with shipping. New gauges are not cheap.

Welcome, and thank you for your service!

I have not had good luck using 6 volt gauges on a 12 volt system. You need a volt gauge and not a amp gauge. The oil pressure and temp gauge have to be matched to the sending unit resistance. Gas gauges are difficult to get to read accurate. Donot use mechanical gauges as they leak and blow out. Gauges can be expensive ranging from 25.00 to 400.00. Usually the more expensive the more accurate. Gauges in a Jeep are not as important as in a air plane so you can mate the gauge to your needs.

If you run the oil pressure, temperature and fuel gauges from a six-volt power source - they never know that the rest of the vehicle is tied to a 12-volt battery.

Thinking about the ammeter, "amps is amps". With the original six-volt generator system, you would see the typical three step charge rates switching back and forth. The charge currents in a 12-volt system are going to be lower, so ammeter readings are going to be different than the original - but charge is still charge and discharge is still downscale.

Is the oil pressure gauge a mechanical gauge? I don't know on the CJ-3B. If it's mechanical - it doesn't care.

Oh yeah - don't forget the horn - it's not going to like 12-volts for long. (You can find 12-volt horns ....)

Sfctriplett, hope we gave you some ideas what some have done. You can change out what you need. I have converted six vehicles and I am of the school to change everthing. Others like to retain as much of the orginial as they can. It all comes down to how you use your Jeep, what condition it is, and how much you want to spend.

A general summary of what is involved in any of the voltage conversions, that are possible.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/12-volt