Thread: People Love Old Trucks - A "Ham's 48" Story

Threaded View

People Love Old Trucks - A "Ham's 48" Story

The local Corvette Club stages a number of shows for charitable organizations and the one Saturday was to support a program for the local Health Center. It had fire trucks, EMS ambulances, a local hospital helicopter (until it had to go to work) and a lot of sharp cars.

There was a steady string of people who wanted to talk about the truck, how it had been in the family since 1954, being daily driver and working for a living until 1975, sitting in the barn for 35-years and the two-year restoration.

Now, I have learned that judging at these shows tends to have a GM flavor - after all, it is sponsored by a Corvette Club. It was very hot; 92-degrees in a parking lot is really hot - and the show wrapped up early because folks were leaving. At awards time most of the award plaques went to GM vehicles. Now - they were very nice, nobody can fuss about an immaculate Olds 442 getting an award.

The best in show went to a visiting Corvette - club member cars don't get judged. The only hardware left to be awarded was a BIG trophy for the Sponsor's Award, so I figured it was time to load up the chair and cooler and head for the house.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard "Sponsor's Choice - Larry's 1948 Willys-Overland Jeep Truck"! The folks know how to appreciate old Jeep trucks.

The trophy stands waist high and I need a stool to see the top of it when it sits on the fender. The only problem - it has a Corvette on top.
    Attached Images Attached Images