Thread: Mr1964cj5

Mr1964cj5

Does anyone else have an issue with drivers side of cj5 being lower than passenger side? I have 1964 cj5 that I completely redid. Seems like body and frame are sitting on an angle but axle is straight. All new springs and shocks from Kaiser Willys but if length of them were off any amount would this push one side higher than the other? Any thoughts as I don’t know of anything else it could be

There is actually a name for this condition. The Willys/Jeep lean. The problem dates back to the first MB military jeeps. There was a fix issued to those jeeps, that consisted of a helper spring added to the driver's side front spring. This kept the body level.

Have you ever heard of installing a longer shackle on one side to even it out?

I have heard and seen some custom made shackles. They do the job, but the rear section of the front spring tends to flatten out faster. The extended shackle has been known to upset the steering, but usually on home made shackles. The geometry tends to be off, the spring binds, and causes issues with steering.