Thread: New To The Group & To Jeep!

New To The Group & To Jeep!

Thanks for the add!
    I'm brand new to jeeps. Just got a 1970 DJ-5A. Using this vehicle as a teaching tool for me and my 2 boys. The simplicity of older jeeps and the space in which to work on them were my main draws. I am however having some difficulties identifying exactly what some of my parts are.
    If I am researching correctly, I believe it has a 4 cylinder chevy 153 2.5l engine. Also, it has a 3 speed Automatic trans which I am having trouble identifying. All the reading material states it should have a 2 speed powerglide.
    We have had the jeep only a few days and trying to make it road worthy. We've done the standard oil change, plugs & wires and have just moved on to the brakes. The master cylinder seems to work fine, but upon removing the wheels I have found a few missing pieces from the front drum brakes. I have yet to be able to find anyone selling a hardware kit for these brakes. Any suggestions? After the brakes, we will move on to the carburetor and tear down, replace seals and clean.

Thanks,
    Matt

Welcome to the group.

If this is a teaching project, I would suggest that you invest in a shop manual for the vehicle. While you can work your way through a lot of issues, having the shop manual to use for a guide to the "students" will enhance the experience.

The KWAS catalog is also a very good reference for parts ...

Post some pictures so we can see the project.

Yes, I was able to find and download a '53-'71 service manual that has been very useful so far. And yes, I have already used the KWAS catalog, which looks like it too will be an invaluable resource. I have not been able to find the linkage rods for the drum brakes however.
    Can't believe I forgot to post the pics

Jeep Side.jpgJeep Engine.jpgJeep interior.jpg!Jeep Front.jpg

Great father and son project!

I know that there are some differences between a CJ and a DJ, (rear differential is centered on a DJ, offset on a CJ). Depending on the year, the early models used the DANA 27, where the later models used a DANA 44 rear ends.

The following link is a descent source of everything DJ;

http://www.postaljeep.net/index.htm

Awesome! I had not found that site yet. Hopefully they can provide some direction on these brake parts. Thank you kindly.