Thread: 62 CJ5 Carter Carb Question

62 CJ5 Carter Carb Question

I started the jeep today just to keep things limbered up. I noticed the engine kind of lobed (like an old tractor) until I popped the accelerator a little. After the engine was warm I slowly started increasing rpms. The engine seemed to miss/studder once I continued to accelerate. It hasn't done that before. I know it could be one of many things since this jeep is somewhat new to me. Fuel, fuel filter, plugs...etc. After running it for about 10 minutes I shut down and looked at the carb. It felt cold and there was condensation at the base. Is this normal? I know fuel is cold but it's Sept and I live in Kansas. Far from being "cool" here yet. This jeep is a 12volt conversion (performed by several owners before me). Engine is 4-134 F. Carb is a Carter YF /G17 938SD. IMG_2386.jpg
    Last edited by Lyle462; 09-07-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Carb throat will be cool until everything stabilizes. You are evaporating fuel (well - atomizing it) and that is inherently a cooling process. (Think Freon expanding in the evaporator coil of the fridge or AC unit).

But - that shouldn't make her stumble. 12-volt conversion probably doesn't have anything to do with it.

Fuel, fuel filter, plugs ... yep, that's a start on a list. Add points, condenser, distributor cap, spark plug wires. Yep, it's a Jeep.

Ok sounds good. Thank you. Ha...Jeep. Gotcha.