Thread: 53 MB Running issues

Angry 53 MB Running issues

I have a 1952 M38 It was sitting for a while but in running condition. It started acting up and I wanted to make this road worthy so I didn't have to worry about walking home after a jeep ride.

I replaced the fuel pump-carb did a tune up, removed the fuel tank and cleaned it all out. Last weekend I replaced the coil and capacitor in the 24v distributer . Started it up ran like a dream, drove it about 6 miles, never ran so good. Stopped at a buddies house for 20 minutes go to leave and it wont start, so we towed it home, pop started it while in tow and it would just idle, as soon as I gave it throttle it quit. Tonight when out to look at it again it started hard but then finally started, reved it up sounded good then it was acting like it was starving for fuel then quit.

Fuel psi is 3psi vacume gauge flutters alittle. I'm wondering if I have a stuck valve?

Welcome Mr. Murphy,

It does sound like you have a fuel supply issue. My first guess would be that the fuel line may have crud that came loose and is clogging up the supply. Next would be the carb itself. The needle and seat may be clogging as well. If you have a fuel filter in line, then I would check there first. If that looks good, then pull the supply line to the carburetor. Check the fuel flow by turning over the engine, and observing the amount of fuel that is cought in a catch pan. It doesn't sound like a fuel pump issue, because it is an intermitente problem. A stuck valve isn't likely because of the symptoms presented. Let us know if this helps at all, and if you have more information.

I have ran a fuel line straight from a fuel can to the pump. I'm only getting less than 3psi. I've been told I need to be up around 4psi but no more than 5psi I have a fuel regulator put I cant get no more than 3psi with it adjusted, I'm wondering if I have a bad cam lobe and its not moving the fuel pump lever enough to create the fuel psi needed. I've looked for the spec's for the cam lift but I haven't fuel anything