Thread: Re-united with an old friend. . .

Cool Re-united with an old friend. . .

Hi all - just brought home my new-old 1966 CJ5 V6!
    It's new to me, but I know this old Jeep well! My uncle brought this home (late 70's) when my cousin and I were teenagers. I lived in CA at the time; my cousin in WI. Growing up I would spend summers back here and I helped my uncle and cuz return this Jeep to service. When we got it running we would drive it around the hills and woods at their farm. It was a blast for two boys aching to get their drivers licenses to 4x and put it through it's paces! It never was plated for the street and they used it around the farm and to plow their l-o-n-g driveway.
    I moved from CA to WI in the late 80's and still tinkered on our cars, tractors and the Jeep with my cuz on weekends in their shop. My uncle has long past and my cousin continued to use it year after year. When his health started to fail, I would go to plow for him and was always impressed ho well it moved piles of heavy wet snow!
    Cuz passed last December and I plowed the farm for the estate with the Jeep last winter. Lots of memories were made in that old Jeep, and I told the executor that I couldn't let the Jeep leave the family; so now it's safe at my shop and I plan on using it to plow as well.
    I'ts going to remain a "working Jeep" as that's how my uncle and cuz would want it!
    I'm glad there is a site like this where I can get lots of info and advice on the best way to maintain and slowly restore some of the things it needs (primary brakes because they really are weak - snow piles have worked great! And lights/signals/mirrors. And the heater - it is Wisconsin after all!) I do want to plate it for driving on the road so I can get it to places to take it off-the-road!
    FYI the "Bulldog" on the hood was my uncle's touch - he was a lifelong Teamster and drove Mack's for years!
    Attached Images Attached Images