Thread: Considering project purchase?

Considering project purchase?

img_0039.jpgHello,
    New Member 1st post. Considering ‘48 CJ2A project to do with 18 year old son. Ran across this fiberglass bodied Jeep, with what I found to be curious wood body supports and wooden floor insterts. Body seems to be in reasonable shape no cracks or holes just some dings. So is this an older tub,kit purchased this way or just somebody’s “smart idea”? Thanks Steve
    img_0047.jpgimg_0045.jpg

The first thing you want to know: does the vehicle have a title. If you want to drive this when it is finished do not put any money in it unless you have a title.

Steve,
    From what I can see, This CJ2A would be worth an investment, if the price was right. Most fiberglass body makers use marine grade plywood as a stiffener within their bodies. Even the original, and some aftermarket replacement steel bodies used white oak within the hat channels that stiffen the underside of the bodies. This is a lot of the cause of old Willys not having any floor boards left. If the running gear is in decent shape, then that is a good starting point in a restoration. If the body looks and feels sound, then you can roll with it until such time that you choose to do something different. At least a fiberglass body will not rust with future use.

Thanks guys. No title too old but enough documentation to register in Illinois where I live. Jeep rolls but will not start. Any suggestions for a reasonable shipping company to get this Jeep to IL from Ohio? Thanks again Steve

Check with U-Ship. https://www.uship.com/vehicles/?-_us...SAAEgLcEvD_BwE

I can't imagine it being too much.

Perfect Thanks again

I purchased this 1948 CJ2a. Now we are trying to figure what we have. Started with the engine. No serial # visible on the flat spot behind the water pump. So guess engine was rebuilt at some point? Attached is the a photo of the casting numbers on the block. Can I learn any specifics about the engine from these numbers? Also of interest, seems to be no oil filter and We have this old snow plow pump instead. Thanks Steve
    Attachment 3105pump.jpg