Thread: '52 Willys Truck new to me

'52 Willys Truck new to me

Hello all. I just picked this truck up and am excited to begin another Willy's build. My first was a few years ago when I brought a '48 CJ-2A out from underneath a cottonwood in central Colorado. I will post a then and now. This truck is in great shape considering the ones I have seen over the years. Seats are one of the first things on the list. I know I will be hitting this forum often for advice. First question: keep the original 6v system or convert to 12v? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Soutdere! You did an excellent job on your 2A. Your '52 is a fine looking next project.

As far as your question, 6v vs. 12v. In my opinion, I tend to like to keep the original, original. With that being said, it all depends on how you plan on using your truck. As an everyday driver, it isn't a bad plan to convert it over to 12v for ease of purchasing replacement parts. The 6v starter can handle the extra voltage without too many issues. The generator will need to be replaced with an alternator or a 12v generator. The coil and all the 6v light bulbs will need to be replaced. The gauges, i.e. fuel and amp meter will need to have a voltage reducer to keep the original gauges in place.

Keep the pictures coming, we enjoy seeing them!

"First question: keep the original 6v system or convert to 12v?"

Unless the far side has been wiped out - you found a really nice looking truck!

I'd vote to keep it original as well. Give the starter and generator a good looking over and you may want to replace the voltage regulator - but don't do that until you clean the points in the one you have. You didn't say what engine you have,but the F-134 and the L-six whatever were meant to be spun by 6-volt starters. They're not high-compression V-8's!

Pay attention to cables and grounds - don't skimp on cables and battery connectors. It will spin slowly on cold mornings, but it will start.

Believe it or not, on a cool morning the 6v has more amps to the starter than a 12v, even with a 6v starter.

Thanks for the responses and opinions. I am partial to the 6v system. I converted the 2A to 12v because it was very simple. This truck is not overwhelmingly complex itself, but I am leaning toward original. As for the other side, there has been some new paint sprayed on at one point in time and it does not have near the appeal as the drivers side, but it adds to the story and character of the truck. There is an in-line 6 cylinder in this truck which I am beginning to understand is not the original motor. The word 'Hurricane' is cast into the top of the head on the intake side so I am assuming it is a F-head. I will get a picture up soon. I have attached a few more pictures of the exterior. More to come soon...I hope.IMG_1073.jpgIMG_1072.jpg

L Head 6-226 Super Hurricane

The F-head engines have valve covers on top of the block. L-heads have spark plugs sticking up. You probably have the 6-226 L-head engine (the "Super Hurricane"). The not-so-super Hurricane was the F-134. Look around the side of the block on some flat spots for a place someone may have stamped the engine number when they planed the deck. That's where I found mine.

Starter Current

Yep. Starter current draw was one of the reasons that forced 12-volt systems. As engines moved to higher compression, cranking currents became unreal. On the little Jeeps and the trucks with 134 CID engines, stall current on the starter is almost 500-amps. When it goes "ARUMMP" and hangs for a second on a cold morning, the 6-volt battery is delivering a huge slug of current to the starter.

That's why you don'y try to get away with parts store #2 AWG battery cables.

Nice truck, looks like mine. Same color and all. I have the 4 cylinder and converted to 12v, this was because it set outside with the hood open for who knows how long before I bought it.

When you get a chance can we see some pictures of the inside and dash?