Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overdrive relay

Overdrive relay

I recently bought one of the aftermarket six volt OD relays.
    None of the terminals are marked and I have yet to find the right combination to make it work.
    I did find a site that identifies the identical looking 12 volt relays terminals but that doesn't seem to work for my six volts.
    The 12 volt info suggests that the battery is connected to the post with the fuse. This makes sense but as soon as I hook up the battery the relay clicks, thus would be activated whenever the battery is hooked up.
    The seller here hasn't a clue and I am lost as well.
    This is a 48 Jeepster that runs and drives well but non op OD.

Here is a diagram from Willys America, for Jeepsters. I do not know much about the Jeepster set up, but I would think it would have to go through a kick down/or dash switch.

https://shop.willysamerica.com/Overd...y-p/916721.htm

Thanks GM,
    Yes, this is the 12 volt diagram, there is no diagram on the 6 volt offering.
    I wired it up as per the 12 volt picture and it does not work, it clicks as soon as I hook up the battery, I suspect that the battery would be dead in a short while.
    I was in hopes that someone here would have the info that I need.

Kaiser-Frazier Overdrive

Quote Originally Posted by capyjack View Post
    I was in hopes that someone here would have the info that I need.
    I'll bet that the Jeepster and Kaiser-Frazier had a lot in common.

From a description:

The overdrive was of the automatic type; all one had to do to engage it once the control knob was set was lift off the gas pedal slightly. Pushing down hard on the gas pedal would disengage overdrive for quick passing maneuvers or climbing hills. Four-wheel drive was never offered; apparently it wasn't even considered by Willys.

Here is a link to a great description of the Borg-Warner overdrive and all the stuff that goes around it. There is a diagram of the relay, the solenoid, the kick down switch and even the rail lockout.

http://www.kaiserbill.com/Web-PDF/KF-Overdrive.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    I'll bet that the Jeepster and Kaiser-Frazier had a lot in common.

From a description:

The overdrive was of the automatic type; all one had to do to engage it once the control knob was set was lift off the gas pedal slightly. Pushing down hard on the gas pedal would disengage overdrive for quick passing maneuvers or climbing hills. Four-wheel drive was never offered; apparently it wasn't even considered by Willys.

Here is a link to a great description of the Borg-Warner overdrive and all the stuff that goes around it. There is a diagram of the relay, the solenoid, the kick down switch and even the rail lockout.

http://www.kaiserbill.com/Web-PDF/KF-Overdrive.pdf
    Great! That is a good find LarrBeard.

This relay that I have is not marked as to which terminal is which.
    It is also common to Studebakers and Fords and other six volt negative ground cars as many suppliers sell this relay.
    BUT NO ONE KNOWS WHICH TERMINAL IS WHICH. And when I do wire it up according to the info supplied with its 12 volt counter part it not correct.
    I know how it works and how to drive it and I have seen probably hundreds of diagrams but NO ONE can identify which terminal is which on this 6 volt relay.
    Its the exact one that GM shows above but is six volt.
    Last edited by capyjack; 10-31-2018 at 12:45 PM.

With the schematic that LarrBeard provided, the battery (6 volt) voltage is applied from the starter solenoid/ (starter positive post if a starter pedal is used)to the fused link (1), as you figured to be correct. The Ignition terminal (2) goes to the negative side of the coil, in which it goes through the ignition switch. This is where the relay is turned off and on through the ignition switch. The 3rd terminal goes to the kick down switch terminal A. Then the remaining terminal (4) goes to the Solenoid terminal 4. With all this being said, the make up of the relay is very similar whether it be 6 or 12 volts. The relay that is pictured bellow from Kaiser Willys, and it is 6 volt.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...nar-suspension

If your relay does not match with what we are talking about, please include pictures of what you do have. It tends to help us realize exactly what we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by capyjack View Post
    BUT NO ONE KNOWS WHICH TERMINAL IS WHICH. .
    Here is how to figure out just which ternimal is which:

The solenoid relay is a four terminal device. The relay coil is connected between the throttle (TH) and ignition (IGN) terminals, which are interchangeable.

The other two terminals are the solenoid (SOL) and battery (BAT) which are also interchangeable.

Take your meter set up to measure continuity and find the two terminals that are connected together through some relatively low resistance. These are the TH and IGN terminals – they are interchangeable, just two ends of a coil of wire in the relay.

Once you find these two terminals, the other two are the SOL and BAT terminals. With your meter, verify that there is no continuity between those two terminals.

Connecting the BAT terminal should not do anything to energize the relay. It should only energize with the IGN and TH terminals connected. There may be a wiring harness issue somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you LarrBeard, I think this is what I am looking for.
    You make it sound pretty simple and being rather simple myself.....LOL
    A couple of questions.
    Would the (TH) and the (IGN) as well as the (SOL) and (BATT) typically be on opposite ends of the relay as you illustrate?
    Also, does the relay need to be grounded to function properly?

The relay looks exactly like the one in the link that gmwillys provided above, however mine is marked as a six volt unit.

I will reply soon when I get back to this.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    With the schematic that LarrBeard provided, the battery (6 volt) voltage is applied from the starter solenoid/ (starter positive post if a starter pedal is used)to the fused link (1), as you figured to be correct. The Ignition terminal (2) goes to the negative side of the coil, in which it goes through the ignition switch. This is where the relay is turned off and on through the ignition switch. The 3rd terminal goes to the kick down switch terminal A. Then the remaining terminal (4) goes to the Solenoid terminal 4. With all this being said, the make up of the relay is very similar whether it be 6 or 12 volts. The relay that is pictured bellow from Kaiser Willys, and it is 6 volt.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...nar-suspension

If your relay does not match with what we are talking about, please include pictures of what you do have. It tends to help us realize exactly what we are talking about.

Wait, you said negative side of coil? Would that not be the distributor side?
    The Jeepster is negative ground.
    The lead to the pedal switch is on the negative side I think.