Thread: Warn hubs

Warn hubs

I have a vey early style of Warn hubs 1962. One just spins around when you try to lock it in. There must be something broken in the hub. Is there a way to remove both hubs from the axles and run the Jeep like it never had hubs? Other words when in two wheel drive the front axle will turn along with the front drive shaft. Then when shifting the transfer case the front axle will engage into 4 wheel drive. In other word make the Jeep drive like it never had hubs. If I just remove the guts of the hub will the 4 wheel drive work? I do not need the hubs. Would I need some kind of plate to cover the end of the axle?

Every once in a while, you can find what are called summer hubs. They were put out by Warn, and came in a little metal box that was meant to go in the tool box. The summer hubs would replace the splined cap of the stock hub. The Warn hub would protect the axle from getting dirt and crap into the hub. I have not seen a set in person, but have read about them over at eWillys.com. David has a wealth of information on all the manufacturers of aftermarket parts, and may have updated availability of said hubs.

If there are not any summer hubs available at this time, you can figure out the exact hub you have, and order a rebuild kit to fix your selector issue.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-06-2018 at 06:49 PM.

My 1962 FC 150 has Dana 44 front axle. I can not find a repair kit for the hubs nor can I find replacement hubs. All the hubs for the FC is Dana 25/27 which was used on on the narrow track. The wide track used a Dana 44. Any idea where I can find hubs?

I forgot about you having a FC, and not the narrow track. That's what I get for assuming. The thing that separates the hubs by axle model would be the axle splines, and hub bearing size. A 44 should have 19 splines, and the 27 is 10 splines. Dana 44 should be a whole lot easier to find parts for, because everyone and their brother used a 44 for their vehicles. Most International Scouts used 44s.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-07-2018 at 09:00 PM.

There are plenty of Dana 44 hubs for sale but but most do not have a application table and the few that do never list a 1962 FC. There are probably some that will fit but I need a interchange chart

I found a rebuild kit for an FC170, that also list fitting a IH Scout II. The kit list fitting the 7300 series of warn hubs. The kit lists for $39.99, which isn't bad at all. With all this being said, I read through all the description, and did not find that it was difinitive for the 44 axles. My thoughts are that the rebuild kits handle the outter workings of the hub, and not the splines.

GM thank you for the effort. I am making some headway. I think what I am going to do is take the hub into auto parts stores and compare and see what fits. As I understand it any thing that fits will work. You do not have to go by model, year or make. If it looks the same it will work.

Being a Warn product, they are fairly interchangeable. I've have had on my own heeps every make of lock out hub, but a Warn. I've installed a couple Warns, and they are a quality product.