Thread: Fuel tank rust

Fuel tank rust

Hey everyone, I just bought a '43 MB project. I opened the fuel tank when I got it home and it's full of rust. I'm hoping to not have to spend $425 on a new tank. Has anyone tried this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Covk_AxA3Ig or does anyone have advice on a shop that can restore fuel tanks?

Thanks

Welcome 212467,

I have not used the Eastwood products, but have used Red Kote tank sealer with a lot of success. I have found that aquarium gravel works well to remove the big chunks of rust. I have also sent a gas tank to either a radiator shop or machine shop that has a hot dip tank. The hot dip removes all the stubborn paint, and cleans the inside fairly well, with minimal effort on your part. After the tank is clean of any debris, the Red Kote is poured in. It takes about three hours of turning the fuel tank to thoroughly coat the entire inside of the tank, but when dry, you will not have any more issues with rust formation. A single quart can should be enough to do your MB tank, depending on how much scale need to be coated.

https://www.amazon.com/Quarts-Kote-S...uel+tank+liner

New MB Project - Rusty Fuel Tank

"I opened the fuel tank when I got it home and it's full of rust"

By no means unusual. The next thing to think about is that just about everything uphill from there is full of rust and crud too. Fuel lines, filter, fuel pump and fuel lines to carburetor.. On yeah, probably the needle valve in the bowl.

After watching a lot of folks start rebuilds, the best idea is to put a filter between the tank and the fuel pump and another ahead of the carburetor. Catch that stuff anywhere it shows up!

What shape is the engine? Tried anything with it yet?

Show us pictures - we're already curious.